Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It is odd to me that Adobe is seeing such a revenue boom with the CC as I have hardly seen any positive comments about the approach from day 1. Is it just a massive goat roping where they just have leverage over the market ad folks just buy it? It would seem that something like the entire master collection of programs would mainly appeal to pros, not casual users. Makes me think I have a lopsided view of what their market really is.

I stayed with CS6 as well. My main problem with CC is that they do not give any form of ownership of your work. Stop paying and you have NO access to past projects. Why couldn't they offer a trailing ownership model so you had some options? Seemed like too much of a forced situation imho. After watching Photoshop grow with many features that really did not matter, I thought the same fate would happen to the entire CC. You just can not reinvent software every year with totally awesome features. The gravy train of revenue is a dis-incentive imho.

Being and Edius user, I am envious of the suite approach and vast amount of plugins available. But Edius is very stable, quick pro software which has served me well for 15 years. I will check out Resolve and Fusion to see how they work together. Edius has such a strong multicam though. This feature always kept me from moving away and to Premiere. Just like cameras, it would be great to have the best bits from each maker!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hscully View Post
    Are there other circumstances where a corporation insists on an editing platform?
    Many corporations have an in-house team but they could be overwhelmed at times, so when various departments may decide to outsource they want the freelancers/contractors to use what their people are using so the transition - if necessary - is seamless in the future.

Although I agree that some companies go only one way or another, I disagree that it's all Adobe as some are all-in on Apple products.

3. Collapse Details
    Makes sense. I guess at that point you’d need to weigh the cost of the subscription or software expenses with that in mind - whichever platform your corporate clients use.

4. Collapse Details
    You'll find that most freelancers have corporate clients that don't have a team or don't care because they are hiring for all of the work to be done outside.

When you're a well-known post house in LA or NYC (or in other major markets) it's different because there is more money involved so they have everything to accommodate everyone.

I was a transcriber for a show called 'LA Ink' very early in my career and they obviously shot in California, but they sent everything to New York to be edited (at least when I was briefly there for a season or two).

5. Collapse Details
    Anyone use lightworks?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    Anyone use lightworks?
    I have in the past, once you get over the learning curve for the different terms and slightly different way it works, and it is a fine editor. Get an "X-Keys XK-68 jog" and check with Craig Marshall about programming to build a cheap control surface with jog/shuttle. You'd be surprised how much more streamlined things are with a good control surface.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    I've got to get away from Adobe, and I have a discounted plan due to education.
    I don't really make money from anything I do, so it's getting harder and harder to justify.

Avid media composer first or resolve are probably the most likely replacements for me.

But what does everyone use for replacements for everything else in cc

Audition is handy. Is Reaper the best low / mid budget audio editor?
    I use illustrator a fair bit too. Inkscape is OK but I'm not blown away by it. Is there a better paid app? Actually, I need to find a good cad program as a lot of what I do might better suit CAD.
    Or what about lightroom? This is probably the hardest one to replace.

I don't really use full photoshop, software like paint dot net gets fired up much more often for me.

I have kept with premiere for a while because it was convenient, and I was getting a little work demonstrating editing with premiere, but it looks like that dried up, and if I pick up Avid, that would still fit the role anyway.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiffman View Post
    Or what about lightroom? This is probably the hardest one to replace.
    Agree.
    Luminar 3 with Libraries will be one day pretty good alternative. BUT so far it is really buggy and slow.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I was a transcriber for a show called 'LA Ink' very early in my career and they obviously shot in California, but they sent everything to New York to be edited (at least when I was briefly there for a season or two).
    Kat Von D!

10. Collapse Details
    As previously stated by someone else, I don't think people would be nearly as frustrated with how the subscription model has gone if the releases weren't so buggy and unreliable. I really don't understand why they can't be a bit more diligent about stability, do more in-depth testing across various users you trust, etc. to work out the kinks. If you're annoyed or upset to be paying a monthly payment for a piece of software until the day you die, at least you can rest easier if it's excellent, reliable, stable, etc.

Because of my business I need to have Premiere and Photoshop/AE around at a minimum, so I'm stuck, but I still use FCPX as well, and I've dabbled in Davinci. For someone like me, I need access to a lot of different pieces of software at all times since I never know what gig will require which program or what problem I'll need to solve that is handled easiest in software A vs B vs C.

I think they've definitely fallen off the wagon a bit in the last number of years, and they've been very lazy regarding optimization in the Mac environment. FCPX is mindblowingly fast on Mac hardware, and while everyone ooo'd and aaa'd about that for a while (me included), Blackmagic came along with their few recent updates and proved that they could catch up to FCPX (or at least get close) when it came to render speeds, export times, etc. Premiere is handicapped in a way that is really unfortunate. With each new Mac that's released, FCPX/Davinci show huge boosts in performance each time, while Premiere gets tiny 10% bumps if you're lucky. For a suite that'll cost me $50,000 by the time I'm old to constantly have access to... that's some bull right there lol.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast