Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fatman View Post
    Here is a video I shot there might be a few seconds shot on a gh4, but at least 95% shot on the fugi 18-55 mkz for my fs700 + odyssey. I picked this one because most other things there is a combo of camera's and lenses so this is almost exclusively that lens. I love it - perfect for jobs like this - solo operator - as others have said, if I was on a complex narrative shoot or something with a bigger budget and more time, of course I'd go with a totally different package. But I didn't find 'weirdness or sterility'

[embed/ width=540p]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqebe2a7lZ4&t=27s[/embed]
    Impressive how you were able to ride and hold focus on so many moving shots. I am spoiled by DPAF on the C200 and face and eye tracking/focusing on the XT-3 but your video proves that with skill, you can use manual focus pretty accurately in run & gun situations. Nice work. It's weird, in the SD days, I could track focus really well but once things went to HD and now shooting 4k-8k, it seems a lot more difficult to nail focus every time.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Not sure if this lens was discussed, but I had play with it and it looks great. Future proof, since it can be swapped by user from PL to EF and even from S35 to FF. Servo can be added as well. Angenieux EZ-2 15-40mm? It is not the cheapest one, but still not miles away.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Impressive how you were able to ride and hold focus on so many moving shots. I am spoiled by DPAF on the C200 and face and eye tracking/focusing on the XT-3 but your video proves that with skill, you can use manual focus pretty accurately in run & gun situations. Nice work. It's weird, in the SD days, I could track focus really well but once things went to HD and now shooting 4k-8k, it seems a lot more difficult to nail focus every time.
    Amazing how that happened... Lol. Yeah, I thought I was a freaking hero with my first Betacam shooting sports(mostly football and basketball). SD and 1/2" chips... I could go from under the basket to full tight on an 18x at the far end of the BB court and barely move the focus. Then I got a little dose of reality with 2/3" chips(still SD). Then HD(2/3")... But now with s35(HD & 4K) and larger, I wish I had my old 21 year old eyes and reflexes back.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the compliment - I have shot a ton of sports like the other poster here, but also, imagine what didn't make the cut! lol

The throw is just right for doing a lot by hand (what I do usually with this lens) and it's super light + macro - it's a beast. I've only used it's bigger brother a couple of times, but thought about buying at least the 18-55 several times because it's just so useful. Rental though is like 80 CAD so ... I'm not one to buy too much gear either.
    I'm a jack of all trades and master of SOME.

www.frasertoms.com

5. Collapse Details
    With respect to the operator (great piece) I’m a bit confused Dan on what you are seeing? I’m a c100 operator and I’m always worrying that the more I shoot with DPAF the worse I get at manual focus, probably because it’s true. In this situation are you not just set at about 5.6 and pacing yourself an equal distance away continually? That’s what I would do... what am I missing ?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry1908 View Post
    With respect to the operator (great piece) Iím a bit confused Dan on what you are seeing? Iím a c100 operator and Iím always worrying that the more I shoot with DPAF the worse I get at manual focus, probably because itís true. In this situation are you not just set at about 5.6 and pacing yourself an equal distance away continually? Thatís what I would do... what am I missing ?
    That's a good point too, I'm not aiming to be wide open all the time and in fact in some of these shoots I use ND or 2 because of how bright the grow rooms are, but that brings up another point - in that video there is a point where the guy opens a door and I had to manually adjust the aperture which is also buttery smooth. If the camera is on my shoulder, I'm constantly playing with the focus - sometimes use the assist on the odyssey if it's so bright it's hard to see detail especially, the rolling shots which are literally just on like an AC style plastic cart - those is more of a set it and forget it situation, but it easy because it's almost at infinity and most things are in focus. The hardest things to focus are generally the plants in macro which is why I usually shoot macro in 120 fps and use the post event function on the 700.

But overall, yeah it wasn't too difficult focusing for this one there are other examples like this that were much harder, but I may have used my own lens which is another discussion. For those that are interested, I've done a ton of shoots like this with my 28-80mm Makinon FD lens I bought about 4 years ago - it has macro as well ....and it's almost embarassing to say, but it was $25 .... it works though - this video - everything hand-held and macro or static slow motion is that lens:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtATRd8urgc

I'm only sharing this because if you see something you like and it works for you - to hell with everyone else! older still lenses had much bigger throw's and they're all manual on the lens and for me that matters and it's why I originally went for a mostly canon FD kit of prime's and zoom's. My entire lens collection cost $350 - so when it comes to buying a lens, even the Fugi MK, I'd have to rent it 80 times for it to equal the purchase and my company picks up the bill or it's 100% write off.
    I'm a jack of all trades and master of SOME.

www.frasertoms.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry1908 View Post
    With respect to the operator (great piece) I’m a bit confused Dan on what you are seeing? I’m a c100 operator and I’m always worrying that the more I shoot with DPAF the worse I get at manual focus, probably because it’s true. In this situation are you not just set at about 5.6 and pacing yourself an equal distance away continually? That’s what I would do... what am I missing ?
    The types of shooting that I have been stung on are shooting shallower DOF at say 10' at 85mm at F3.5 with a subject who is rocking forward and backward frequently. The difference in the throw on many lenses in so small that it is really tough to nail focus on this consistently, not to mention mentally fatiguing after an hour or two of doing it. I find on really long lens throws and longer focal lengths, it's easier to nail focus because the DOF is shallower, you can tell when it pops into focus, with peaking on you can see the DOF "wave" and you just roll it forward or back. The stuff that gives me a lot of trouble is when shooting outdoor at a deeper DOF. Even in daylight, with NDs engaged and a deeper DOF, say f/6.3 or 7.1, there is still that area that's in focus and it can be super easy to not nail that because of the stupidly short focus throw. Most of my lenses are focus by wire too which makes it all that much more difficult.

I still have my old MF Nikons, a 50mm f/1.4 Ai and an 85mm f/1.8 Ai and they are so much easier to manually track focus but their massive CA and flaring means I rarely break thrm out anymore. My only Canon lens that I feel pretty confident in manually focusing is the EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, it has pretty good manual focus. I have a feeling with the Fujinon MKXs, I could do a lot better. When I used them once, it was just for a sit down interview and the subject didn't rock, didn't get a chance to use them for movement.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    Actually that makes sense, in fairly deep focus it can be harder in some ways to find the correct plane. More subtle ...

9. Collapse Details
    I didn’t notice the iris change actually, on my 17-55 you get the ‘click, click, click, click’ sound, so I never go there...

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by deltoidjohn View Post
    Does anybody else find it baffling that nobody has yet made a lens to clean up in this market? Something that suits the current range of <$10,000 cameras that use EF mount - fully manual with geared rings, ~3x zoom, internal zoom so we can use it with matte boxes, and under about $5000. The above examples show it can be done well enough at this price level, but still nobody has jumped in and really made a winner in this category.

Thoughts?
    Yes its a shame theres not many options. I wanted a compact parafocal cine zoom and the red 17-50 hit the spot. Got a mint version 2 one from eBay for $2600. Also got a metabones pl to m43 speed booster to use with the lens for my Blackmagic pocket 4k and I love it. Ebay always has a few red zooms for sale.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678