1. Collapse Details
    Sony x70 File Recovery after Battery Died
    Hi all,

I did a large multicam shoot the other day, and the battery on my x70 cut out before it hit zero. When the camera powered back on it asked if I wanted to recover the file and I said yes. The progress bar completed and it returned to the home screen where I hit record and kept going. I've since bought large capacity sony brand batteries, I had been using off brand ones as most of my use is sdi output!

After the shoot, the file before the shut off didn't appear on the x70s media player, but it shows up as a 0kb file in my computer. I've tried wondershare recoverit and the file doesn't appear, nor is a 0kb file able to be uploaded to other recovery sites.

Has anybody worked through this before? Should I try to recover the 0kb file before using a recovery service? I'm worried that recording after the recovery write over the old file....

2. Collapse Details
    Yep. Aftermarket battery just shuts off and the camera doesn’t close out the file. Happened to me and I actually ended up getting most of it back - for a price. Check out Aero Quartet: https://aeroquartet.com/

Aero Quartet makes software to recover the file. It looks pretty sketchy but it’s actually a real service that develops a custom piece of software to recover your files. Very nice people who work really hard to make it all happen. I would certainly recommend them.

However, I’m not sure about the whole recording over situation - I think I remember having a .DAT file or something from my AX100. Maybe it was a hidden file? I would maybe drop a message to the people at Aero Quartet and see what they have to say. Good luck!
    Nate Haustein

PXW-FS5 / iMac i7 / FCPX

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
    Yep. Aftermarket battery just shuts off and the camera doesnít close out the file. Happened to me and I actually ended up getting most of it back - for a price. Check out Aero Quartet: https://aeroquartet.com/

Aero Quartet makes software to recover the file. It looks pretty sketchy but itís actually a real service that develops a custom piece of software to recover your files. Very nice people who work really hard to make it all happen. I would certainly recommend them.

However, Iím not sure about the whole recording over situation - I think I remember having a .DAT file or something from my AX100. Maybe it was a hidden file? I would maybe drop a message to the people at Aero Quartet and see what they have to say. Good luck!
    Thank you very much for the reccomendation! Glad to hear someone who has personally used them. I've had battery outs with my FS700s and the avchd doesn't act the same way, I guess better to have learned that sooner

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Scim View Post
    I've had battery outs with my FS700s . . .
    Seriously? In 35 years in this business I can't recall a single time I lost a battery in the middle of rolling. I find it inconceivable that someone would allow this to happen on multiple occasions. Just saying . . .

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    Seriously? In 35 years in this business I can't recall a single time I lost a battery in the middle of rolling. I find it inconceivable that someone would allow this to happen on multiple occasions. Just saying . . .
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for the concern, I suspect we may work in different situations. I started shooting passion projects when I was 13 or 14 and have made mistakes along the way to my current commercial work which has a heavy emphasis on live production. Since you asked, here are some examples of battery outs I've had:

Shooting 15-20 second B-roll clips in subzero conditions on the top of a mountain for a backcountry skiing shoot, my FS700 went from 25% to dead very quickly. The file was unscathed and I continued with a fresh battery wrapped in hand warmers.

This one happened while live streaming a concert with 6 cameras for a local venue. The x-70 was rigged to the ceiling and routed via 200' sdi to the switcher. The event was 1.5 hours long, and the extended battery lasted for 2.5 hours so the live event went perfectly. I had also hit record on the individual sd card, even though the shoot didn't require it, but by the time the crowd cleared and I was able to access the camera the battery had died.
    Last edited by Scim; 01-02-2019 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Quoted