Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Yes I Will use exactly the same body design and Leica Lens, About the sensor do you think with the latest technology 3 cmos sensor do better in any way than a single sensor?
    As you know the HMC 40 has 3 cmos sensors and you don't see that any more.

2. Collapse Details
    I agree. I thought 3 sensors were better but they don't seem to do that anymore. Maybe a 1 inch sensor in hmc40 style body would be good?

3. Collapse Details
    Probably (I'm not an expert in camera design), A larger sensor would need a larger lens thus changing the camera design, since you know is a high range zoom lens in a very compact size.
    Also the more I know Panasonic the more I respect the Brand but Leica optics seem to be prohibited as far as prices now in these days.
    I'm after a friend that has one He bought 9 years ago at the same time than me and has about 200 hours, If I convince him probably could get it for US $1000.
    I'm afraid Panasonic Will never manufacture a camera like this in this Price range any more.

1.JPG

4. Collapse Details
    If the hmc 40 does everything you want then it might be good to buy the one from your friend. Having 2 identical cameras makes life easier.

I think the 3 chip cameras can have an advantage in shooting green screen/blue screen.

Like you said it seems they've moved away from 3 sensor cameras and single chip is the way now.
    1 inch seems to be the new 1/3. And I think a 1 inch could be used in a new hmc40 successor since it's small enough to be used in the compact fz2500 that also has a wide zoom range.

I don't know if they will ever make a successor but they might surprise us. The AC90 was a complete surprise virtually no one anticipated. In a way it was sort of an hmc40 successor / hmc150 successor but not exactly either.
    I personally like CCD global shutter over CMOS rolling shutter but that's history.

If they made a new 3x 1/4 sensor camera now it would be better in every way than the old 1/4 Be nice

5. Collapse Details
    Yes as far as camcorder the HMC40 is perfect, Another as I told you I like is the The CX350.
    The HMC40, is a camera that with good lighting, and production can be a work horse, is very Sharp, and the codec despite being very efficient can be pushed a lot.
    The AC90 I think was to big but has XLR Connections build in, Low light performance is commented that is better but I asume is digital gain with digital noise reduction in camera.
    Now the AC30 seem a great option but as well too large, at a bargain Price, today Brand new $ 1200, Yes another 1/4 paired with a CX350 could be great.
    When I see a HMC40 I compare it with a Jeep willys, Efiicient, Light and powerful.
    Last edited by Felipe Henao; 02-03-2019 at 07:43 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah the ac90 and ac90a and ac30 are better in low light but mostly due to cleaner gain I think. And they are bigger so not really a true replacement.
    I wonder how many other people out there still like the hmc40? Seems it used to be pretty popular.
    Like you said, efficient light and powerful. It looked pro but small and you could stealth shoot with it.

Really, if they made a new hmc40 similar size with new sensor that was better in low light, had enough ND for outdoors, had a wider angle lens, bettter LCD screen and 4k capabilities Id love it!

7. Collapse Details
    Yes me too but mean while I'll probably buy my friend's

8. Collapse Details
    That sounds like a good plan, Felipe.
    Looks like we are still the only ones in this discussion

9. Collapse Details
    Over the 90 and 30 I'll say is smaller, has a Leica lens with hiperfocal function the others not, also has wave form monitor the others not,
    Another practice I made some time ago was to record externally to a Prores codec and in fact did not notice any change compared with the AVCCAM.

10. Collapse Details
    I really like having wave form monitor. I also have AC90a and it doesn't have it.

I was really surprised how good the AVCHD codec of the AVCCAMs is years ago. I read lots of bad things but I've been able to push it a lot more than I expected. I also have external recorders that do Prores and DNX and in the limited testing I did they looked similar visually to the internal codec.

I've had footage recorded internally at the wrong White balance - even 5600K when it should have been 3200K - and I had to fix the color in post. It worked
    And it seems on long events with multiple cameras the cameras never want to match indoors so I always end up pushing the color around in post.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast