Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Need a cheap action cam. Is used Gopro the best option?
    I never had to buy Action cams. Now I do. I don't want to spend much so will buy used. Is used gopro still best option? I know amny knock off and alternative exist also chinese. What is recommended? Is original gopro 1 still ok too? Thank you for helping.

2. Collapse Details
    I would suggest that whatever you choose get one with a screen

I have GP3 and GP4 - 4 is sooo much better because of the screen.

3. Collapse Details
    Make sense. Are the chinese knock Offs recommended?

4. Collapse Details
    I think the $50 ones are not so good. I have a Hawkeye Firefly 8S that impresses me. It comes in two models; 170 and 90 degree lens. I have the 90 degree lens which works well for to get away from the fisheye look and get more practical shots.
    Last edited by Paul F; 12-21-2018 at 09:27 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    It seems for $50 you can buy used gopros. So is that a better bet than a new $50 chinese one?

I checked and this Hawkeye firefly 8s seems to sell for around $120 new. Again you can buy used gopros for less. Is there advantage for the hawkeye?

6. Collapse Details
    I have piles of the Chinese ones and to be honest they're used more than the two GoPros I have. I can lose them and I even have a great underwater shot of one dying because I put it in the vented case and could watch it filling with water before dying! The pictures are oversaturated, the viewfinders a little unclear - and the battery flaps fall off and get lost. However - when one gets knocked off a 4WD in a woodland, or falls off the top of the factory ceiling, or scores of similar events, you just lost $50, and you don't lose sleep.

The technically better GoPro image quality often simply doesn't matter. Most of our work is in events and live theatre, and with stage lights, the Gopro and Chinese footage is often very, very close.

7. Collapse Details
    Yi4k is the best deal in new action cams currently.

Whether a used GoPro is a good deal depends on which GoPro and how much. No, the original GoPro 1 is no longer viable - I'd say 3+ is the oldest useful model, but the 4 is much better. Improvements after that are mostly in usability, image quality is about the same.

All of this depends on what you will be using it for.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing View Post
    No, the original GoPro 1 is no longer viable -
    Why is that?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    I have piles of the Chinese ones and to be honest they're used more than the two GoPros I have. I can lose them and I even have a great underwater shot of one dying because I put it in the vented case and could watch it filling with water before dying! The pictures are oversaturated, the viewfinders a little unclear - and the battery flaps fall off and get lost. However - when one gets knocked off a 4WD in a woodland, or falls off the top of the factory ceiling, or scores of similar events, you just lost $50, and you don't lose sleep.

Are you talking about the Yi4k?

10. Collapse Details
    I've been using Sony action cams a lot since 2012 for all sorts of things. Never had a problem with them until I flew one close over a hot brush fire. Ever since then it shuts off in hot weather or when the hot summer sun shines directly into the lens. I just received my 1st GoPro today (Hero 5 black) because I needed one for a vehicle gimbal. I chose the 5 over the 6 and 7 due to price. The 4 is actually more than the 5 and 6 now. I would have chosen the Yi or SJ which I think are better values except I wanted hdmi out. Hopefully it isn't as bad as I hear....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast