Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Canon 1DC just stopped turning on
    Hi,

I was taking pictures/fliming with my Canon 1DC today.

After taking a few stills with the 1DC, I turned it off and placed it carefully on a table. I tried turning it back on a few minutes later only for it to power up slightly, then it went dead. The battery was almost full but I tried another one, the same thing happened, though it did stay on fraction longer.

I took out the cards, took out the batteries again, changed the lens but still nothing.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking that it's something quite major and I'll have to send it away but hoping that there is something that I haven't thought about that would solve the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Maybe leave out the batteries and cards for a day (24 hours) and then try again...if it's not working you'll probably have to send it in.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

After a google search, or two, I'm thinking that it might be a circuit board issue - seems to be a not so uncommon problem with the 1DX/1DC cameras - so maybe that's the issue here?

Hopefully though it will turn on tomorrow, though I think I'd still be a bit worried it happened again.

Thanks

4. Collapse Details
    This exact same thing happened on my 5d mark IV. The circuit board does in fact go bad and Canon needs to fix it. Mine was under warranty so no idea on the costs, but it took 24 hours for them to fix it.

5. Collapse Details
    I think the 1DC is actually rated as a Cine Cam by Canon...reliability is almost number 1 in a camera designated as such...I read about these cameras failing here and there, but Canon has never been a camera I've purchased, it's been in one ear and out the other....but this seems like it would be a disaster if one was using this, as say, a camera for a feature in a remote location...I remember an incident where I think a US Indy film crew was shooting their film in Mexico(small budget) and if I remember correctly it was a 1DC that failed and the support from States side was terrible

6. Collapse Details
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks all for taking the time to reply.

I took the camera down to the Canon service place here in Glasgow, just before Xmas. They had a look at it and said it was probably a circuit board and they'd have to order the part. I won't get the camera back until the end of January, and given that it's out of warranty I'm thinking it will be a costly repair.

Now having to try to juggle work dates - all a bit of a headache as everyone is off for Xmas/New Year.

Thanks again for the replies.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fboonzaier View Post
    I think the 1DC is actually rated as a Cine Cam by Canon...reliability is almost number 1 in a camera designated as such...I read about these cameras failing here and there, but Canon has never been a camera I've purchased, it's been in one ear and out the other....but this seems like it would be a disaster if one was using this, as say, a camera for a feature in a remote location...I remember an incident where I think a US Indy film crew was shooting their film in Mexico(small budget) and if I remember correctly it was a 1DC that failed and the support from States side was terrible
    I remember that. I believe it was the sensor and some heat related issues.

8. Collapse Details
    You're right!....neither a camera nor a company I would ever trust a project to!!...having said that though, on a positive (1st day of 19) note....I own a lovely set of pristine old FD lenses (chrome lock rings) and I love the image with these shot in 4K!

9. Collapse Details
    I remember that Canon 1DC post, it was about a hot pixel issue, and this is pretty much the one reason I'm nervous about buying a used 1DC. I can't find out from Canon what they would charge for a new sensor, as this is the only way to fix hot pixels with the 1DC by replacing the bock? It is a lot to pay for a used 1DC these days $2-$3K and then to have a possible pixel go out yikes! I'm sure if you were the original owner Canon would help you out with a replacement sensor, as this is a well-documented problem with this camera. When all is said and done the 1DC is still an exceptional looking image.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fboonzaier View Post
    You're right!....neither a camera nor a company I would ever trust a project to!!...having said that though, on a positive (1st day of 19) note....I own a lovely set of pristine old FD lenses (chrome lock rings) and I love the image with these shot in 4K!
    Quite the flippant opinion! ha

Don't have to like the company but they make some of the most reliable cameras in the world.

And here's the topic/thread in question (I believe) if anyone is interested in taking a look:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...rt-anyone-else

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast