Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I was going to use resolve to grade my film, but I wasn't going to push my footage too far and with the new curve tools in FCP X it gave me 90 percent of what I needed. There were some isolated shots I had to do tracked power windows and stuff where I used resolve still. Not a fan of FCP X but it by far handles 4k h.264 files better than any other NLE and I didn't want to transcode everything so I went with it. Will probably move on to resolve for all my editing needs soon.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

2. Collapse Details
    Yes for simple stuff I stay in FCPX but since this is a music video I wanted to try to do a “proper” grade. Granted, you can do a lot of the same stuff in FCPX but the viewing issue really pushed me over the top. I like FCPX and theyre constantly improving it and adding features.

I exported a prores HQ of my final edit of the video and brought it into Resolve to grade, had to razor the video to cut it into shots since I’m not quite familiar with the scene detection feature and when I tried it it seemed to put the clips in a random order in the timeline instead of chronological but still, not a big deal for a less than 3 minute video.
    Last edited by Josh Bass; 01-09-2019 at 03:26 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Agreed on the RippleTraining - very good tutorials, concise, to the point. I did one of their bundles for a couple of weeks in the evenings.

The only other thing I would say, is I'm now 100% keeping with using the builtin tools only (even if its a bit harder - like mask tracking etc) I've had it with using plugin's that stop working, moving from laptop to desktop and grades breaking. The builtin tools seem 'good enough' now for my type of work.
    Rich
    -
    Underwater Lumix GH5 and Atomos User

4. Collapse Details
    You mean built in for FCPX or Resolve? I can see where youre coming from on plugins.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    You mean built in for FCPX or Resolve? I can see where youre coming from on plugins.
    FCPX - I've had enough of having lots of extra bits of software installed, CoreMelt, FXFactory, ColorFinale etc etc
    Rich
    -
    Underwater Lumix GH5 and Atomos User

6. Collapse Details
    Cool. I suspect down the line many things those plugins did will be added. they already have a comparison viewer in the newest version so you can compare shots. Now if theyd just do something to negate that quicktime gamma/color shift...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12