1. Collapse Details
    grading in a late 90s / early 2000s pop punk music vid style
    Hi. I am working on a music video for my band that is stylistically reminiscent of 90s green day, and I am thinking pop punk music video looks from that era would fit it. Granted, looks are all over the place but I looked at a bunch of vids from the well-known bands of that era/style and many have similar looks...a lot of high contrast (crushed blacks/blown highlights, saturated colors, kind of a glossy look.

I understand some of that is lighting, film stock, art direction, makeup, maybe other stuff. But some is down to the grade. Are there any special techniques or effects that could be used to get these looks? Aside from the normal grading operations that is (isolating color ranges and tweaking them, etc.). I remember there used to be tutorials ok how to get the ď300Ē look and things like that that required all sorts of layers and compositing. Thatís what I mean. Maybe all that isnít necessary with Resolve (or I might look into color finale since I edited in FCPX and that way I could stay in it). Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Every rule you learned for grading.. break it.

Dont put nice roll off, dont drop the saturation.

Increase the saturation near the highlights.

Hard clip top and bottom

3. Collapse Details
    lucky for me I havent learned any rules yet...

4. Collapse Details
    Shoot it with a DVX100/A/B and you'll be half way there...seriously.

5. Collapse Details
    Ha. Most if not all of the ones I'm thinking of were likely shot on film. I'm talkin' all your Lit, Blink 182, Green Day (a little older than what I'm thinking of), New Found Glory, Alien Ant Farm, etc. etc.

You know, it's funny...looking at these old videos, there is a very distinct point in time (couldn't tell you the year) when all these music videos went from grades/effects that looked like messing with the film/negative to the digital CC look. I don't know if it WAS because digital grading became a thing at that time, or just some new chemical timing technique, but it's like everybody went from the posterized/negative look and people being red or purple to hi con/saturated looks and grungy greens and blues I mentioned in the first post.
    Last edited by Josh Bass; 12-12-2018 at 11:36 PM.