Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I wish I had a Veydra 25mm to directly compare. I'm curious, but I'm not sure I'm $50 curious to rent it. ;)

Regardless, I really feel torn between this an my current Rokinon "Cine" lenses. I prefer the build quality and sharpness/contrast of the Meike, but it's actually a little too small to be used as comfortably as I would prefer. Once you consider a follow-focus and matte box, there is something to be said for a longer lens.

2. Collapse Details
    Going from memory, but I believe these have a few less focus marks than the Veydra's, and a bit more CA.
    Last edited by David W. Jones; 12-13-2018 at 11:20 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    A friend who owns a set of Veydras and is rather astute said, basically: Probably not from the same factory, not a clone, perhaps not as nice, but damn that's a great price!

More specifically:

=====

> So maybe they made Veydra's lenses? Or maybe they’re just copying them?

I don’t think either one: the Meike is heavier, breathes less, has more CA (according to the review, but that may be a sensor artifact in his camera), worse and different-colored flare, and the barrel design is subtly different. Reviewer says the focus throw is 180º, but it looks from the pictures of the lens (and from Meike’s site) that it’s 300º, like Veydra. Interestingly the reviewer’s lens has a different design than the pix on Meike’s site show; his copy looks very much like a Veydra overall. Reviewer claims a 10-blade iris; Veydra has a 10-blade iris, too.

So possibly it’s a knockoff (or likely; it’s China, after all), but it’s not a direct steal nor does it appear Meike had an OEM/ODM relationship with Veydra.

Meike’s website lists the Sales Department contact as “Bruce Lee”. :-)

If Meike can build out a reasonably full set (at 1/3 to 1/4 Veydra pricing) it’ll be a great boon to MFT shooters. But with only a 25mm, I think it may be a harder sell, even at only $310.

There is so much interesting cheap glass coming out of China these days it’s hard to keep track of it all.
    =====
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    but it looks from the pictures of the lens (and from Meike’s site) that it’s 300º, like Veydra. Interestingly the reviewer’s lens has a different design than the pix on Meike’s site show; his copy looks very much like a Veydra overall. Reviewer claims a 10-blade iris; Veydra has a 10-blade iris, too.
    =====
    Having just compared the pics as well I would have to agree with Jim. From the markings, the throw looks like 300 degrees. Unfortunately the Meike has some big gaps in the markings and has less than the Vedra. The build of Joseph's review lens looks identical to the veydra and the site has a lens with a slightly different build, though with the same gear spacing it could just be external differences.

Given the sharpness, and the veydras were SHARP, my guess is the optical formula is the same but with cheaper coatings (hense the CA). If the Meike color matched the veydras I would jump on them in a hartbeat otherwise I'll probably patiently wait to grab up any good used veydras. I don't have a 25mm to compare directly but my 35mm veydra apears to have more breathing then Josephs revew meike.

5. Collapse Details
    Just so we're clear, LightCtrl is quoting text from my friend who owns a set of Veydras and knows a whole lot about lenses in general. I don't want to take credit for his smarts.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Supposedly, the manufacturer is soon to release a full kit. From retailer: "They are releasing focal lengths in 16, 25, 35, 50 and 85mm all in T2.2. They are all the same size with 80mm fronts, all have 10 blade aperture and are all color matched."
    I can confirm that the 16mm T2.2 will be released on March 11th followed by the 35mm T2.2 roughly three months later.
    Last edited by PK Productions; 03-07-2019 at 07:42 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PK Productions View Post
    I can confirm that the 16mm T2.2 will be released on March 11th followed by the 35mm T2.2 roughly three months later.
    Can you tell Meike that this is confirmed, as I see no information from them on the subject. If the 16mm lens is close to Veydra quality I'd love to get my hands on it. I got to use a friend's Veydra 16mm for a while and it was great, it is unfortunate that it's out of production.

8. Collapse Details

9. Collapse Details
    Been using it for a while. We love it. Just be careful that it does get flares easily when lights is in front. Meike also going to be releasing a 85mm cine lens version sometimes this month.
    Just another filmmaker living in Midwest that has gone full time with a nice studio www.mdifilm.com
    oh... and winning a bunch of awards...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12