Thread: FS700 in 2019?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    FS700 in 2019?
    I have one week of shoots left this year and then my next projects will be in 2019! 2018 has been an incredible year for work for me and my FS700 and Odyssey7Q combination has produced some beautiful imagery for the sixth year running and has worked in all situations - talking heads, charity films, events, documentaries, fashion commercials and promo films.

So who will be filming on their FS700 and Odyssey7Q in 2019 and who will be changing camera setup?

Earlier in the year I put a deposit on a Mavo LF but after seeing some of the problems people had with their Kinefinity cameras, I decided it was too much of a risk to take on set and I cancelled my order. I'm still in the market for a new camera in 2019 but honestly there's not much out there that makes me want to jump ship right now. The new Red dragon S35 looks great but i'd rather something less weighty and with built in ND's. 100fps full sensor 4k in important for my fashion work and not many cameras offer this which is making the decision of a new camera so difficult. It's amazing that the FS700 and Odyssey7Q has been able to do this for so long.

It would be great to hear form other FS700/Odyssey7Q users who are still going strong with their setup

2. Collapse Details
    I still rock my FS700 with Odyssey 7Q+.

I was originally gonna sell it earlier this year, but then so much work came in.

My issues with it is that it gets too big and fiddly with the Odyssey and I want better auto focus.
    But actually just got a new camera bag that allows me to keep the O7Q on the FS700. That really made a big difference!

Would love to get an FS5 type body (and no giant recorder on top) to make it easier go between hand held and tripod.

Most likely I will try to sell it in the beginning of next year.
    But still really love the image the FS700 + O7Q gets me.

And that’s my issue. There’s nothing in my kinda price range that will significantly improve both image quality and ergonomics along with all-round functions. Just too many compromises. So I wait patiently for next generation of FS cameras...
    Last edited by dmitrizigany; 12-07-2018 at 10:39 PM.
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8GM, SEL 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4, FE 28-70 | Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Mojave
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

3. Collapse Details
    Similar here. Still have it with Inferno. Fun fact is that people on shoots are usually wowed by how camera looks. I always feel more pro). Anywqy I just bought Pocket 4K and after some testing, this could replace fs700. Still trying to build rig, so not ready for paid jobs.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Why would you want to change your kit (and spend money) if you are happy?

I only change kit when there is a 'burning need'

My current 'need' for example is to get rid of my BMC micro and replace it with something 4k.. a need completely driven by clients demands.

Keep it until you have a burning need to get rid of it.

Remember every month brings used kit to market, new models, more stable firmwares and price drops.. so every month you dont change you align yourself to changing to something better than what you could change today

Keep.

5. Collapse Details
    I'll keep using mine until something significantly better comes along.

For me that means:

Internal 10-bit 422 (ideally prores/DNxHR)
    4K 100fps
    Pro camera features - ND's, XLR, SDI, multiple mount points, etc
    Easy to rig for shoulder work
    Doesn't cost more than a car
    And preferably uses V-lock batteries

The Kinefinity Terra is closest to the camera I'd like, but as you mention, there's still a lot of question marks around using it, and without being able to easily test one out it's not something I'm likely to take the plunge on yet. I love the images from Red but hate using the cameras. Sony F5/55 are hard to find second hand and barely cheaper than new because they're such popular workhorses.

So it looks like the FS700 still has some mileage in it yet!
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
    Adobe CC 2018

6. Collapse Details
    Visuals in the uk had some f5/55 used stock last week

7. Collapse Details
    Doesn't seem like any reason to replace it at this point.

The Pocket 4k is a really nice camera, but I'd wager the FS700 will beat it in dynamic range and of course you wouldn't have 4k 100fps and no ND's either.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Visuals in the uk had some f5/55 used stock last week
    And R5 RAW recorders are pretty damn cheap on eBay. I've seen some below $1500 US. The media is insane, though. Even for Sony. But if the OP wants 4K, full sensor 100fps, he'd have to step up to the R7 recorder. F55 only goes up to 4K/60fps internally(XAVC)(but up to 180 @ 2K/HD) and the R5 only does 4K RAW up to 60(240 @ 2K). The R7 would get him up to 120 4K RAW and X-OCN.

Ergonomically, it'd be a dream compared to what he has, now(and probably a nice step-up in image quality, too). But if someone needs over 60fps 4K frame rates, the cost for media would eat them alive. The cards are almost in the rental-only realm(to have multiples on-hand), unless that's how you're making your bread and butter and charge accordingly. A 1TB card nets you ~22mins 4K RAW @120fps(up to 32mins X-OCN ST / 54 mins X-OCN LT)and costs $4500*.

*I think shooting X-OCN LT you can use the slightly less expensive "S24" series cards. It's only $3600/1TB... ; )

9. Collapse Details
    I'm definitely using my FS700 and O7Q+ in 2019. Still amazed by the image. My A6300 is a great B-cam and gimbal cam.

At this point if I were to upgrade it would probably be if I had enough money for an Arri Mini, which isn't going to happen anytime soon, haha.

Cinematographer, Editor
    FS700
    / A6300 / GoPro Hero 6
    Documentary
    / Filmmaking / Corporate video

10. Collapse Details
    Count me still on board. I'm still using a pair of fs700r with external recorder (as needed).
    I use other cams for events and things but the fs700 is my main corporate cam pair and plan on using them for several more years. Can't justify spending more on other cams. I like the images, even internal HD.
    I'd love them to be able to record internal 4k that cs6 can cut natively but oh well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast