Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Watching my GH4 shot feature film on the big screen!
    Screened my completed film for the first time for my cast and crew (ok, basically me), last weekend. I made my own 2K DCP using the free DCP-O-MATIC software. It played without a hitch and looked amazing! I was honestly stunned that the image quality held up as well as it did. I had been watching it on my own 10 foot home theater screen and was fairly pleased, but was still unsure how it would look blown up to that size. The film had never looked better, even at a measly 2K resolution. I was really worried the color correction I did would not be accurate, but it looked identical to what I saw at home (this is where learning to read and use scopes paid off). I CC'd in FCP X, as I shot CineV and CineD internally and knew it would not hold up to a drastic color correction. Using the LEEMING LUT v 2.01 as a base, I fixed black levels, made flesh tones accurate and shifted things warmer or cooler based on mood. FCP X also added color correction curves in the last big update, so I didn't feel the need to use Resolve. Using the luma vs sat curve to desaturate the blacks and whites really made a difference to the final image. Also added a subtle grain texture that cleaned up some of the minor compression artifacts. I never loved Film Convert, so I used the built in grain filter in FCP X, applied it to a white solid, exported a long movie and then layered it on top of my footage with a Multiply blend at 50 percent. This applies the grain at a different intensity in the whites vs the blacks, and also softens and suppresses the whites in a pleasing way. I shot the film at ISO200 whenever I could, but even shots I did at ISO 2000 held up great. I didn't even use Neat Video on those shots as I felt it robbed the image of something. There were a couple shots I had to push to 3200, and those I used NEAT very mildly. Everyone I talked to commented how great the film looked. A couple of my friends, who have been industry professionals for decades, could not believe I shot it on a DSLR. A few also mentioned how good it sounded, and then I told them I recorded most of it on a 30 dollar microphone (Takstar SGC-598) straight into the camera. We all obsess about getting the latest and greatest, but years ago we passed the threshold of having consumer grade tools that can compete with the big guns. As Eric Clapton said...It's in the way that you use it!

PS. Everyone seemed to really like the film as well (and not in a fake polite way unless I'm really bad at reading people). Hopefully you'll all get to see it soon.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Nice.

Any trailer available online?
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    Nice.

Any trailer available online?
    There is a trailer, but I'm going too re-do it as I cut it last year and shot more footage since then. I also learned so much about color correction in the meantime I want to replace it with the CC'd footage. Here is the old trailer--

"Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

4. Collapse Details
    Stills of my final graded film--

Last edited by Batutta; 12-07-2018 at 08:58 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    You cropped this to widescreen, not shooting anamorphic, correct?

And you are right, there is a lot of decent low budget gear we can use and get good results if we use it correctly.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    You cropped this to widescreen, not shooting anamorphic, correct?

And you are right, there is a lot of decent low budget gear we can use and get good results if we use it correctly.
    Yes, I cropped it. The stills are 16x9 letterboxed. For the DCP, it was cropped to 2048 x 858 without bars. I was a one man band and anamorphic would have been too much of a headache to deal with. Also, not sold on the quality and sharpness of a lot of those cheaper anamorphic adapters, which is all I would have been able to afford.

7. Collapse Details
    Looks very well done. I want to see it!

How do you plan to distribute/market it?

8. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure whether you mentioned this before or not, but did you shoot to an external recorder too, or is it all internal. The stills look fantastic!...how willl it be available for viewing when you are ready, or is it already on ITunes or whatever venue you're choosing?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Shot all internal. I didn’t want an extra device to have to worry about. Again, I was a one man operation and I wanted to keep things simple. All my tests indicated internal CineV and CineD were more than adequate. Working out distribution. I’ll keep everyone posted when it’s available.

10. Collapse Details
    Looks stellar! It also looks like it was quite a project. Kudos to you for all the hard work that paid off. Hope it does well for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast