1. Collapse Details
    On-camera monitor recommendations? LM-V1 or alternative?
    Looking to add a monitor for my c300ii as my TVLogic 5.6" has seen better days. I shoot handheld-cradled and never shoulder mounted so I'd love something that can be mounted to be easily rotated/flipped as my needs changed.

The LM-V1 is three years old now, but curious if people like that option. Is it a big upgrade in terms of ergonomics and ease of use when paired with the MA-400 audio adapter? Is the screen large enough for focus checking?

Curious to know what people would recommend considering my priorities below?

- lightweight (I shoot mainly run and gun with a stripped down rig)
    - ability to rotate/flip as the camera changes positions during handheld shooting (cradled, on the ground, etc)
    - 5" to 6" in size (realize LM-V1 is only 4")
    - internal or lightweight battery option
    - touch screen would be a bonus
    - do not need recording option
    Last edited by Lkorver; 12-07-2018 at 06:50 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    EDIT - It appears I was wrong and that you can use touchscreen support for focusing on the C300 MKII. I'll eat my dose of crow and say that in this case, I would definitely recommend the LM-V1 and the MA-400 pairing for the C300 MK II

Original, ignorant post follows here-

As a C200 owner, I think the LM-V1 is a really good piece of kit but for the C300 MKII, the only real benefit - at least to my knowledge - is that you can access the menu screens using the buttons on the LM-V1. I think you could save a little bit of money and get more LUT support if you need, from something like the SmallHD Focus or 502 (even with the LM-V1, I'm thinking of getting a Focus for gimbal work). While the LM-V1 is really nice and on the C200 using it for DPAF is amazing, its size can be a bit limiting.
    Last edited by Dustin Svehlak; 12-08-2018 at 01:15 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    I bought an LM-V1 to go with the C300 II.

I almost never use it with an MA-400. I don't usually find a benefit in not just using the clamshell.
    I don't find the touch screen nearly as useful as I thought since I usually have my hands on the camera or pan handle.
    It's primary usefulness is that it is much lighter than the clam shell. I will usually use it when I don't need audio. If I am using a wireless hop, I will usually go right into the 1/8" audio port rather than through XLR.
    It benefits from having the longer monitor cable so you can use it away from the camera. I use it as a slider monitor attached to the slider and as a gimbal monitor.
    I don't use a monitor for focus checking anymore, I just use DPAF. In any case, it is basically the same as the clamshell.
    I wish it had one more button. I miss having all of the buttons on the clamshell. I usually have them assigned to various AF functions.
    I don't use external monitors with the C300 II other than directors monitors so it is hard to say for certain if it can match your needs. But, it is certainly lighter than any other monitor that you could ever use.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    I bought an LM-V1 to go with the C300 II.

I almost never use it with an MA-400. I don't usually find a benefit in not just using the clamshell.
    I don't find the touch screen nearly as useful as I thought since I usually have my hands on the camera or pan handle.
    It's primary usefulness is that it is much lighter than the clam shell. I will usually use it when I don't need audio. If I am using a wireless hop, I will usually go right into the 1/8" audio port rather than through XLR.
    It benefits from having the longer monitor cable so you can use it away from the camera. I use it as a slider monitor attached to the slider and as a gimbal monitor.
    I don't use a monitor for focus checking anymore, I just use DPAF. In any case, it is basically the same as the clamshell.
    I wish it had one more button. I miss having all of the buttons on the clamshell. I usually have them assigned to various AF functions.
    I don't use external monitors with the C300 II other than directors monitors so it is hard to say for certain if it can match your needs. But, it is certainly lighter than any other monitor that you could ever use.
    I bought one as well but I am very much the opposite. I never use the clamshell anymore. I think the screen on the LM-V1 is better than the one on the clamshell, more color accurate, and I use the touch screen constantly.

I use the MA-400 whenever I need audio and I vary its position on my camera based on the use. It may fly in front, over the lens, to keep the center of gravity down, or it may sit vertically at the back of the camera during interviews to provide quick easy access to the levels controls.

To me the LM-V1 with the MA-400 on the C300 Mark II is a game changer. Here's a blog post I did on the setup.

To original poster's questions:

I think the LM-V1 is worth a look. The LM-V1 is every bit as functional on the C300M2 as it is on the C200. Only you will know if the screen is too small for you but it's hard to beat the features of the LM-V1 vs. an external monitor. The color on it is great (I have stopped using a SmallHD 502 w/my C300M2 because of it). You don't need a battery for it and it has some camera control access buttons.
    Last edited by Jon Roemer; 12-08-2018 at 10:41 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Roemer View Post
    I bought one as well but I am very much the opposite. I never use the clamshell anymore. I think the screen on the LM-V1 is better than the one on the clamshell, more color accurate, and I use the touch screen constantly.

I use the MA-400 whenever I need audio and I vary its position on my camera based on the use. It may fly in front, over the lens, to keep the center of gravity down, or it may sit vertically at the back of the camera during interviews to provide quick easy access to the levels controls.

To me the LM-V1 with the MA-400 on the C300 Mark II is a game changer. Here's a blog post I did on the setup.

To original poster's questions:

I think the LM-V1 is worth a look. The LM-V1 is every bit as functional on the C300M2 as it is on the C200. Only you will know if the screen is too small for you but it's hard to beat the features of the LM-V1 vs. an external monitor. The color on it is great (I have stopped using a SmallHD 502 w/my C300M2 because of it). You don't need a battery for it and it has some camera control access buttons.
    My experience is that the clamshell is a bit more blue than the LM-V1. I don't notice any increase in detail, although my eyes are bad.

I looked at your blog and I have a very similar setup for the monitor even if I'm using the clamshell. I think the key to using the C300 II is to ditch the standard helmet and handle and customize the set-up. I generally have my monitor hanging off of the front of the top helmet and whenever I go handheld I am usually using the LM-V1. I do a lot of interviews and events, so I like to detach the monitor and controls entirely from the camera so that I can make audio and focus adjustments without touching the camera body while shooting.