Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    im curious to see that (doubt my 2008 plasma does it). i consider myself sensitive to this stuff—before i even got into or knew what video production/framerates etc. was I could tell that, for instance, some episodes of the original twilight zone had a “live” look and most did not—but I’ve never noticed anything off about the motion in narrative material on TV.
    It very much depends on the particular content. If it is well done film technique with closeups, shallow depth of field and nothing going on in the background then pulldown will have little effect. If however if it is shot poorly with action in the background then I feel that pulldown exaggerates the judder that would not be seen in a true film projector. Also what is seen on TV is not always 24P but 30P in which case there is no judder but a motion not quite as "real" as 60P ( or 60i )

2. Collapse Details
    Who’s shooting in 30p for narrative? Not trying to be snarky genuinely asking. As far as I know everyone doing narrative is doing 23.98/24p. Maybe some sitcoms or something?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    Who’s shooting in 30p for narrative? Not trying to be snarky genuinely asking. As far as I know everyone doing narrative is doing 23.98/24p. Maybe some sitcoms or something?
    I was just saying that not all slow frame rate on TV is 24P and that there is a difference.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    For some reason that I could never understand, pulldown looks OK, but motion smoothing does not.
    Because the fundamental goal of pulldown is to retain the original intent of the image while the fundamental goal of motion smoothing is to alter it. 3:2 pulldown is a compromise, as is 59.94 instead of 60.00, but they are technical compromises that were hurdles to overcome as best as possible in order to retain the best possible representation of the original material. Motion smoothing is an engineering mindset of "I can make it better" when "better" is different from the creator's intent.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    A few Twilight Zone episodes were shot on image orthicon cameras and videotape to save money.

6. Collapse Details
    I figured.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Mack View Post
    A few Twilight Zone episodes were shot on image orthicon cameras and videotape to save money.
    And boy do they look it.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123