Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    give us the model of that samsung so we can avoid buying it and throw tomatoes at it if we see it in the store.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    My father in law bought it so I am not sure which model. Gone are the days of tons of menu options.

3. Collapse Details
    One must remember that unless the TV has a high refresh rate ( 120 or more) then 24P will have pulldown so will not be as intended anyway. A lot of the high refresh rate TV have the option of smoothing the image ( creating extra frames through interpolation to match the refresh rate of the TV ( which is mainly 60P to 120P ) or if they are 120hz they can multiply the 24P frames correctly much like a 5 blade film projector. Plasma TV with 72hz could do the same as a 3 blade projector. My Plasma and 240hz Sony have the option for film playback but a lot of lower cost TV's do not so the viewer is seeing pulldown NOT the motion as the creator intended and that I find very disturbing and prefer to smooth. Just my choice . But if one wants to see the film motion as intended go to the cinema as most TV's will not show this correctly.

4. Collapse Details
    That’s crazy. Old-ass crt tvs can show it correctly as can my 720p plasma from 2008. Seems like the new stuff should be able to do it no problem. It’s like that frog trying to escape the well that falls back down 2 feet for every three feet he climbs.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
    One must remember that unless the TV has a high refresh rate ( 120 or more) then 24P will have pulldown so will not be as intended anyway. A lot of the high refresh rate TV have the option of smoothing the image ( creating extra frames through interpolation to match the refresh rate of the TV ( which is mainly 60P to 120P ) or if they are 120hz they can multiply the 24P frames correctly much like a 5 blade film projector. Plasma TV with 72hz could do the same as a 3 blade projector. My Plasma and 240hz Sony have the option for film playback but a lot of lower cost TV's do not so the viewer is seeing pulldown NOT the motion as the creator intended and that I find very disturbing and prefer to smooth. Just my choice . But if one wants to see the film motion as intended go to the cinema as most TV's will not show this correctly.
    Most TV's do pulldown well enough. I have a projector where I can do the 120hz multiplication, 24hz or 60hz pull down and I can't really tell the difference between any of them.
    Last edited by Batutta; 12-07-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

6. Collapse Details
    I agree that TV's do pulldown. That is the issue I am pointing out that this is not 24fps. It is a pulldown of 24fps. I guess it depends how sensitive one is to motion changes. Which ever pulldown is used either for a field based CRT or progressive flat panel display then it is not 24 fps as intended for film playback. Some frames of film will be displayed more than others. That is how pulldown works. The process converts every 24 frames of film to 29.94fps of video with the small time difference too. If you are a purist that should bother you as it is not as intended. Of course it works and is what most people see as film on a TV or (slightly different) computer monitor. I am not a fan of slow frame rates but pulldown is a modification of the source and what most people see on their TV's it is not what they would see as pure 24fps in the cinema. Because of the way frames repeat it has a tendency to exaggerate judder to my eyes.

7. Collapse Details
    For some reason that I could never understand, pulldown looks OK, but motion smoothing does not.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    Most TV's do pulldown well enough. I have a projector where I can do the 120hz multiplication, 24hz or 60hz pull down and I can't really tell the difference between any of them.
    My Panasonic plasma does 60Hz and 96Hz. It can be set to treat 24p material at 60Hz with pulldown, or at 96Hz without pulldown. I can definitely see the difference between the two.

9. Collapse Details
    The 96hz option is a cool feature. If they have the double showing of the frame with the blank in between it would be pretty true to projector viewing. Wish all TVs did this.

10. Collapse Details
    im curious to see that (doubt my 2008 plasma does it). i consider myself sensitive to this stuff—before i even got into or knew what video production/framerates etc. was I could tell that, for instance, some episodes of the original twilight zone had a “live” look and most did not—but I’ve never noticed anything off about the motion in narrative material on TV.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast