1. Collapse Details
    Films shot on 1080P limit distribution?
    Hello group:

I apologize if this topic has been covered before but I am currently in the process of starting a feature. The discussion of what camera to shoot it with has been discussed. My producer has a connection to a DP with a red camera (a camera i am not a fan of). I own a SONY F35 which to my eye shoots a very film like look, the problem is it only shoots 1080p. My producer is telling me that if we were to shoot on 1080p will
    limit distribution options. If for some reason the movie was well received it wouldn't meet the standards set by NETFLIX and AMAZON which requires 4k content. I understand that only applies to NETFLIX original content but they still prefer to acquire higher resolution material.

What are your thoughts on the topic?

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    You were asked in the other thread which RED? (MX or Dragon)

If it's a Dragon, it's really a no-brainer, but the F35 is awesome too.

You're in a great spot either way.

Some people don't even have access to a FS7 (or similar), but still create amazing images & stories with less.

3. Collapse Details
    The camera the DP has is a RED EPIC MX

4. Collapse Details
    Ah, that makes it a bit more complicated.

My advice is you really need a good RED DP that knows that camera if you choose to use it.

---

Also, realistically, what are the chances of Netflix wanting your film?

If it was my project, I would say there's a 0 chance and would use the camera I feel most comfortable with/want to use.

5. Collapse Details
    I am pushing for my F35

6. Collapse Details
    Netflix has made a commitment to their subscribers to deliver true 4k to them. If you were approaching them for funding, they would not fund it if you told them you were shooting 1080.

Does that mean they won't buy 1080 shows? Of course not. But your film will probably have to be particularly good with a demonstrated capability to draw an audience, to draw their interest. So yes, you are making it somewhat harder on yourself in your chances to sell to them. If your film wins an Oscar, they will buy it even if it was shot on VHS. But are you capable of making an Oscar-winning film in the first place? And if you are, why on Earth would you shoot it on VHS in the first place, right?

If your film will be good enough to sell, then raise some more money and enhance your distribution options. Or pitch the project to Netflix as an original; if they buy it they'll supply the necessary budget to shoot it on a camera that they already approved.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks Barry

8. Collapse Details
    My .02(and I own an F55 and shoot some 4K). Everyone gets caught up in the 4K Netflix hype(not arguing it. I do understand it), but I have yet to see anything besides Netflix Original content on there in 4K. I've never watched a theatrically released movie on Netflix in anything higher than 1080. So either they're only buying 4K content when they commission it or the studios are only selling them HD content.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.