Thread: z6 AF

1. Collapse Details
    z6 AF
    Took the Z6 to cyclocross with my 400 2.8 and shot at 120p

This video is FS7 and Z6, Z6 is mainly over the double jump

My summary is the AF is not perfect but very very far from being a joke .. if it catches something it holds it pretty well..

In this shot we put the Nikon on my MoCo system and the AF did the job on this pan slide and tilt test shot..

2. Collapse Details
    Hi Sam. What was the lens in the test shot? I'm just getting to grips with my Z6. I don't have any native lenses for it but the adaptor seems to work well. I like the bike video.

3. Collapse Details
    Its the Zmount 24-70

4. Collapse Details
    If you did that test shot 9 more times (or 9 more similar ones) and the results are the same, that's promising!

I locked on the edges of the frame and looked for dancing, and it's night and day from previous Nikons.

5. Collapse Details
    For the MoCo shot we had dansing from IS - but turned that off.

It is probably not perfect but I was working on another job (big sh__it FVX) and the tech said 'I provide for the 95%' - meaning that a $100m+ feature should go elsewhere for its FVX and pay 10X more.

I think this should work for 'the 95%' - its way cleaner than my own macro tracking focus pulls!

S

6. Collapse Details
    I said 'dancing', but I actually meant 'hunting'...but either way, I saw none, which is great!

7. Collapse Details
    How's the rolling shutter on the Z6 Sam?

I'm debating between the Z6 and the XT-3 (mostly for Ronin-S duties, but if they're good, who knows). And the Fuji seems wonderfully comprehensive. But as a Nikon stills shooter for the past 10 years, it'd be nice to not have to lose a tonne of money on my glass in the transition.

I just spoke to Nikon today, and they said that the Z6 won't do 100/120fps 1080p output at 10-bit down the HDMI, but it will offer 50/60fps at 10-bit 1080p, so there's some off-speed capabilities there.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for posting these tests. Did you happen to capture a MoCo shot with the mug flipped around so that the camera wasn't tracking a face? I'm curious how it's doing in that aspect.

9. Collapse Details
    Grug - I have not examined the RS beyond noting that it was not a problem for the cycling shots (no major side on pans). No data I can really vouch for therefore - I may have the camera again this week.

Grug - In use the fact that it is a nikon is huge if you are a nikonite ref menus et al.

As for glass - I actually only have my 70-200 and 400 2.8 that have semi currecnt AF (my 20-35 and 50 1.4 are screw focus lenses ) You have to evaluate the cost of a glass swap in a very big picture. It not cheap for me to get a new wide zoom and a new fifty

Qick - The guy has done some pushins on toys with no problems - but again no really strong data I can give you.