Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gutterball321 View Post
    Thanks good advice and probably smart to have a nice light instead of temporary small lights. The intellytech looks really cool but is it even close to as bright as the astra?
    Probably not but still bright enough for many situations inc. interview set ups. I haven't used the Astra, they're not very popular here but it should be more powerful and simple while the Intellytech is more versatile yet takes longer to set up.

2. Collapse Details
    I have been building an LED kit for sometime to give a daylight option. I've managed to get some pretty good deals on panels but I've really wanted at least one larger output single source for a large soft box and or to compete daylight when needed. Seems like to get something equivalent to a 1000w tungsten you will need around 200w in a single spectrum. Thus far, the lights that seem to powerful enough, say 200w+ are so huge and heavy that they need a dedicated case. No way one will one fit in either of my rolling kits. You need even bigger watts in a bi-color, maybe 300. Mostly I've been looking at Dracast as I have their panels. And the Dracast 2000 fresnel doesn't have a fan unlike many others; no doubt the smaller units use fans since they have less size for heat sinking.. But the size and weight makes this model a real burden. I have seen it on sale for around $1000, so the price is within reason and the Dracast panels have been OK to good. It may become necessary for this size commitment to get the power I want, but dang, part of the motivation for LCD is smaller-lighter-less power. In this output range and style, smaller-lighter they aren't. I'm still toying with the Visionsmith re-lamp for Arris. Buying a new 1000w Arri and relamping it isn't too much more than other similar fixtures and would be a better quality fixture. Although I have heard that the 1k conversion ends up similar to a 650. It does seem that all of the LED light manufacturers are pretty optimistic on their ratings, so if they say 1k equivalent, round down by a third.

If anyone has a decent quality alternative with similar features, I'm all ears. But it seems all the lower priced options have too many warts for my taste and the really nice stuff is out of my cost network, so I keep looking.

Grant

3. Collapse Details
    the astras are as bright as you will need.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gutterball321 View Post
    the astras are as bright as you will need.
    Depends.

Something to think about with the Astra 6X in an interview situation is that when you run them full power the fan kicks on.
    The only way to make them silent is to run them under 50% power.

I have never been a fan of fan noise during interviews. pun intended

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12