1. Collapse Details
    Busting Down A Door
    I'm helping a friend shoot a short film and in one scene, one of the actor gets mad and is supposed to bust down a door. In looking at the location, it is an outdoor garage area and the door that's on there right now is really no more than a screen door and can be easily removed. We were thinking of putting in a prop door, just a used door and having him kick and then have the entire door and the jamb casing fall forward. We were thinking of even having some rope or strong string on the other side and to pull it when he kicks it so it's sure to come down. The idea was when he crashes into the door with his shoulder, the whole door comes down with him on top of the door, essentially falling with it to the ground.

Does anyone have any thoughts on doing this? Any safety concerns?

It seemed to make more sense to have the whole door come down versus it shattering or only getting partially destroyed?

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

2. Collapse Details
    I don't know nothin bout nothin but I could see if he crashes down on top of the door, unless he's trained and knows how to fall and all that, really hurting himself.

3. Collapse Details
    Get yourself a hollow-core interior door. They are made of two thin outer layers and the interior is typically honeycomb cardboard or other light fill. Just about anyone push a foot or themselves through this door, especially if you set up the non camera side already fractured. If you just set it in the jamb with no hinge pins or door catch, anyone can make it go flying with a good hit and not hurt themselves.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks. I appreciate the thoughts. I guess we will walk through some scenarios but I suppose it is better if he kicks it down versus running into with his shoulder. I can see the safety issues with running into it. I will have to scavenge and find one of those hollow doors.

5. Collapse Details
    Easy way to do this is hang the door but leave the hinge pins out.
    Hollow door is a good idea.
    Usually find a good selection of used doors and hardware cheap at Habitat for Humanity Restores, but a bare hollow luan door only runs about 40 bucks new at Home Depot.