Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Certainly not on every shot. I havent done much at all to the footage except some basic transform (scale up, flopping screen direction) so far. Sounds like its having the MTS files in the library. Im close enough to done that I’ll just leave em there and be sure not to do this again.

So editready is somehow better than importing from the card/folder with the “private” folder/avchd file in it? That procedure rewraps to .mov.

So is optimized media not simply prores 422? At least for this particular camera/media?
    Last edited by Josh Bass; 12-12-2018 at 09:04 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    ....So editready is somehow better than importing from the card/folder with the “private” folder/avchd file in it? That procedure rewraps to .mov...So is optimized media not simply prores 422? At least for this particular camera/media?
    Importing AVCHD from the card/folder mandates copying the media either (a) within the library, or (b) to an on-disk location specified by "Modify Settings" in the library inspector. EditReady allows importing re-wrapped media files using "leave files in place".

If you import AVCHD from the card/folder structure, the media is re-wrapped and should cause no performance problems. I personally prefer using "leave files in place" for all media, and using EditReady on AVCHD allows a uniform on-disk media layout.

Re optimized media, yes that is ProRes 422. If you create optimized media for the MTS files that were improperly imported, I think it will solve the performance problem. However, optimized media is 6x the size of H264 (the AVCHD codec), so it takes space and time to transcode. After the edit if you if you ever forget that was used as a workaround and the optimized media is deleted prior to archiving, then the problem would come back, maybe years later when nobody remembers how to fix it.

I think you could also create proxies but those are 1/2 the linear resolution and 1/4 the pixel resolution, so for 1080p AVCHD that's 960x540, maybe a bit low for some editing decisions.

This problem is unique to how FCPX uses AVCHD MTS files that are copied out of the folder tree. It does not happen for Sony XAVC-S files imported the same way. It is apparently caused by FCPX dynamically re-wrapping each "in place" MTS file upon each reference. Examination of the I/O histogram using the dtrace terminal command bitesize.d when FCPX was scrolling through a library with AVCHD .MTS files shows excessive small I/Os: https://joema.smugmug.com/Computers/...7L/i-bCH2XFX/A

3. Collapse Details
    That last bit is a little over my head but copy on the rest. In the future I will either copy “private” to a drive and import/leave files in place or import to library from card. Probably keep native either way. I mean timeline is already prores so it’s transcoding anyway. Although perhaps there’s a difference between color grading/correcting on the optimized vs native media, so hmmmmm.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12