Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    That is not always true. I use Sony's Catalyst Browse software all the time to trim my clips without an recompression or transcoding. The software just makes an exact copy of the original file using whatever in/out points I designate - and throws away the tail and/or head. Besides the shorter length, there is no difference to the original footage.
    Then why didn't you post that in the first place? That's exactly what OP is looking for.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing View Post
    I've never been able to get MPEG Streamclip to work that way, it's always recompressed when I've tried it. How do you do it?
    Trim the clip then "save as" The save is very fast and that is why I don't think it is recompressing the clip.
    Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
    Trim the clip then "save as" The save is very fast and that is why I don't think it is recompressing the clip.
    I've done exactly that and it's definitely recompressed - it was not fast. Perhaps it depends what codec the original is in.

4. Collapse Details
    Then why didn't you post that in the first place? That's exactly what OP is looking for.
    Because I thought the OP wanted to submit the footage as "stock" -- and that is NOT a valid workflow for stock -- so I didn't suggest it. You say he doesn't want to submit the footage as stock, but only wants to build his own library, so maybe Catalyst Browse is the answer. But the OP doesn't say what brand of camera he is using, so if it's not Sony it probably won't work for him anyway. My earlier post was to address your blanket statement that trimming clips always requires recompression. It does not.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 12-30-2018 at 04:12 PM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    I've done exactly that and it's definitely recompressed - it was not fast. Perhaps it depends what codec the original is in.
    GH5 16 sec. original file shot at 3840x2160 59.94p 420/8bit long gop 150Mbps with 1 second trimmed of front and end takes less than 2.5 seconds to save as. 284mb original and 278mb trimmed. I don't think it is recompressing.
    Last edited by Mark Williams; 12-30-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

6. Collapse Details
    Rule #1, if exporting something for later re-use, don't use .mp4, very lossy. Consider .mp4 being for delivery only and should not be part of any archiving or compositing strategy. I can't speak for Catalyst - if it does indeed trim video into shorter clips with NO recompression, that's fine then no harm done.

But in general, if exporting a segment from your NLE for later re-use, use a good quality "intermediate" codec such as ProRes, DNxHD, or Cineform. These create files that may be quite a bit larger than the camera original, but the clip is then less-compressed. Meaning the source might be inter-frame (Long-GOP) with 4:2:0 color and the intermediate is likely intra-frame with 4:2:2 color. No, it doesn't make the source look better than the original, however it puts the brakes on quality loss since you are not compressing any further and the intermediate clip actually has far less compression than the original so will hold up better to additional editing and transcodes.

Thanks

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12