Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57
  1. Collapse Details
    1dx ii 3 min recording limit?
    #1
    Default
    This video claims there's a 3 min limit to recording 4k internally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8VwZjjZvb0

    Is this true? Haven't been able to find another source for the claim. Also, and videographers here shooting with 1DX mk2 and happy with it? Looking at picking it up (as in being the "near perfect" combo of video and stills). Lack of log is bothersome but oh well. Thanks


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    6,131
    Default
    His comment about 3 minutes is about the D5, which Nikon fixed/changed a while ago via a firmware update.

    1DX Mark II...overpriced in today's world, but a fantastic camera.

    [The 5D Mark IV does a lot of what the 1DX Mark II does and more...but not 4K/60p, which could be a deal breaker.]


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member David W. Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    6,722
    Default
    This camera records 4K video with a 1.42 crop, and will record for 30min.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member AndreeOnline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    1,250
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    1DX Mark II...overpriced in today's world, but a fantastic camera.
    What other camera out there would you say is offering the same features for a better price?
    @andreemarkefors


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    6,131
    Default
    5D Mark IV
    EOS R
    a7III
    a7RIII
    GH5
    GH5s
    G9
    X-H1
    X-T3
    Z6
    Z7

    Honorable mentions: G9, a6300/a6500, X-T2, EM1 Mark II...Blackmagic Pocket 4K (video only).

    Give AND take.

    ===

    Personally for me, nothing about it is worth $6000 ($5500 with current discount).


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member Jaime Valles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,004
    Default
    I have a 1DX II and it definitely records 30 minutes at a time.

    Fantastic camera in every way, and not overpriced for what it does.
    Jaime Vallés
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    2,071
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    5D Mark IV
    EOS R
    a7III
    a7RIII
    GH5
    GH5s
    G9
    X-H1
    X-T3
    Z6
    Z7

    Honorable mentions: G9, a6300/a6500, X-T2, EM1 Mark II...Blackmagic Pocket 4K (video only).

    Give AND take.

    ===

    Personally for me, nothing about it is worth $6000 ($5500 with current discount).
    5D4 and EOS R match in focus quality and color, but as a result of no 4K60P (read out speed related) have worse RS + higher crop in 4K.
    The rest of the cameras can't match autofocus or color, the m43 cameras have to work harder to get shallow DOF (less lens choices, especially with AF (not a huge issue since AF isn't currently as usable as DPAF)).
    A7III is the closest, though I expect the A7S III with VENICE color to finally match, perhaps pass Canon in color. If Sony gets close in AF and includes really good IBIS, that will be the camera to beat.

    Until then, 1DX II, especially with the Filmic Skin picture style- better than log and easier to grade, is the best DSLR camera for video right now. I've done tons of tests and it can hang with the C300 II in terms of color (also optimized) + does 4K60 which the C300 II can't do. In 12-bit RGB 444, the C300 II wins for green screen, though for our YouTube/Instagram videos I don't think anyone will be able to see the difference. To the eye (haven't done chart tests), the 1DX II appears to produce more detail in 4K vs. the C300 II (the C300 II does a bit better in detail for 1080p). C300 II has better DR, built-in NDs, pro audio (XLR), and a better codec, however outside the studio I prefer the smaller & lighter 1DX II.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member AndreeOnline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    1,250
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    5D Mark IV
    EOS R
    a7III
    a7RIII
    GH5
    GH5s
    G9
    X-H1
    X-T3
    Z6
    Z7

    Honorable mentions: G9, a6300/a6500, X-T2, EM1 Mark II...Blackmagic Pocket 4K (video only).

    Give AND take.
    Hey, NorBro...

    Putting the EF-mount aside for a moment, there are a lot of cameras in that list the don't hit all the marks (which is necessary, because if you only need SOME of the features, then obviously there's lots of options):

    4k60 DCI, 1.34x crop, intra frame high bitrate codec, DPAF or equally good, FF stills, high FPS stills shooting and state of the art AF system. Full body with instant ON/OFF and long lasting batteries (relatively speaking).

    Even with this open list, I don't see many competitors. And realistically we need to consider the EF mount and color science, which are probably a factor for its customers.
    @andreemarkefors


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    6,131
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    5D4 and EOS R match in focus quality and color, but as a result of no 4K60P (read out speed related) have worse RS + higher crop in 4K.
    The rest of the cameras can't match autofocus or color, the m43 cameras have to work harder to get shallow DOF (less lens choices, especially with AF (not a huge issue since AF isn't currently as usable as DPAF)).
    A7III is the closest, though I expect the A7S III with VENICE color to finally match, perhaps pass Canon in color. If Sony gets close in AF and includes really good IBIS, that will be the camera to beat.

    Until then, 1DX II, especially with the Filmic Skin picture style- better than log and easier to grade, is the best DSLR camera for video right now. I've done tons of tests and it can hang with the C300 II in terms of color (also optimized) + does 4K60 which the C300 II can't do. In 12-bit RGB 444, the C300 II wins for green screen, though for our YouTube/Instagram videos I don't think anyone will be able to see the difference. To the eye (haven't done chart tests), the 1DX II appears to produce more detail in 4K vs. the C300 II (the C300 II does a bit better in detail for 1080p). C300 II has better DR, built-in NDs, pro audio (XLR), and a better codec, however outside the studio I prefer the smaller & lighter 1DX II.
    Color is up to the chef...maybe can't match in your brain, which is of course okay. Shallow DOF with MFT isn't an issue.

    The 1DX Mark II is probably in the top 10. Absolutely not the best. I mean that's just a crazy thing to say when it has barely any video features besides DPAF and 60p. No 4K FF recording, no IBIS, no LOG, barely any video tools, no programability whatsoever, no usable HFRs, no decent 1080p. It's a good hybrid (even with low MPs for some) and nothing more.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreeOnline View Post
    Hey, NorBro...

    Putting the EF-mount aside for a moment, there are a lot of cameras in that list the don't hit all the marks (which is necessary, because if you only need SOME of the features, then obviously there's lots of options):

    4k60 DCI, 1.34x crop, intra frame high bitrate codec, DPAF or equally good, FF stills, high FPS stills shooting and state of the art AF system. Full body with instant ON/OFF and long lasting batteries (relatively speaking).

    Even with this open list, I don't see many competitors. And realistically we need to consider the EF mount and color science, which are probably a factor for its customers.
    I'm not sure if you're not familiar with the other cameras but several of them have the features you mentioned and also more...but give and take in general as mentioned.

    A few of them have 4K60p DCI, some shoot 4K in FF (obviously NO crop), some even have less of one with a certain SB (GH5S, 1.2 or so), some include various quality options, AF and FF stills available on the Sonys (a7RIII having twice the amount of MPs), 1DX Mark II batteries are nothing special (2-2.5 hours max which is comparable to Panasonic and Sony), etc.

    Color science...for Canon-exclusive people, which both of you are for sure, I know you love it, but not everyone feels the same as we see by what Sony and Panasonic is doing and their sales numbers. EF lenses may be used on the other systems as well.

    ---

    At the end of the day, we can't be living under a rock in 2018...many cameras are fully loaded for less than $2K, and most people will adapt to certain omissions and/or annoyances in favor of saving two-three-four-thousand dollars.

    IMO, it's absolutely not worth $5500 for video and it's silly to think it is. Might as well buy a C200B.


    0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member AndreeOnline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    1,250
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I'm not sure if you're not familiar with the other cameras but several of them have the features you mentioned and also more...
    No, I haven't used any Sony DSLR or mirrorless, neither have I owned any GH5 series cameras. Spending enough time on various video related forums, I feel I know some of the weaknesses and strengths, but I don't try to be snide or imply irony in my question.

    But I don't understand which of the cameras you suggest check those boxes? I mean, you can't spread them out over MANY cameras. The 1Dx mkII is one body....

    Yes, it becomes a game of trade-offs: someone might accept a MFT mount if they get scopes... or whatever. But my serious question still is: what other (single) camera does what the 1Dx mkII does?

    As to the C200: can't do proper stills and is too big, so that doesn't even come close—unfortunately.
    @andreemarkefors


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •