Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    As Scott mentioned, the “helicopter noise” issue with the DR-40 is old news, only present in some devices, and fixed with firmware a few years ago. I’ve had two of those in my life and had no such issue. They’re great recorders.

Then, even if both mics were working, this is the wrong tool for the job.

Your better bet is to get a small recorder like the Tascam DR-60DmkII along with a shotgun mic like the Audio Technica AT-875r. Get a proper shockmount and windjammer for the mic.

For seated interviews, it is most important that the mic be placed as close to the intervewee as possible without getting into frame. You may be able to do this with a regular mic stand and boom arm, like the ones used for musicians and vocalists on stage. Or, you can get a basic boom pole and a boom pole holder to mount to a C-stand. The closer the mic, the better off you’ll be.

If you’re doing walk-and-talks, that’s where a wireless lav kit comes in handy if you don’t have a sound person on your crew who can swing the boom.

It’s already been mentioned that the best thing you can do is have a dedicated sound mixer/recordist. That’s true, but often completely impractical for hobbyists, amateurs, and single-person shooters on a slim budget. If you can get a sound person, do it. If that’s just not possible, you have to do the best you can with the resources you have. The setup I mentioned above will get you in the right neighborhood. Just be sure to use headphones to monitor while you record. And if you can find someone to join your team who is willing to take on dedicated attention to sound, even if they’re learning, you’ll be better off.
    Dr60 seems a very interesting device. My only concern is a bout manageability.most of tbe time i work on my own, and using this will means having more device to control and carry, while dr05 for example would do the job on its own, agree with kess quality,, but i talk i. Run and gun conditions
    Lumix GH3 +Neway CL77H +Rokkor MD50 +Rokkor MD135 + Rokkor 35-75 +Lumix 14-45 +Lumix 45-175

2. Collapse Details
    FWIW, I bought an original DR-40. Used it for a year, then it died. Tascam wouldn't repair it so bought another, then it died after 8 months. I baby my gear and there was no reason two of them should have died. Interestingly, I bought a DR-60 MK1 at the same time and to this day, it's still going strong, I used it for a big NBC project a month ago. So it's not that Tascam is unreliable, it's that that the DR-40s, in particular were unreliable for me.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanocps View Post
    Can you tel me some of these models?
    tascam dr 60
    tascam dr 70d
    roland r26
    zoom h6
    zoom f4

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Akos Baranya View Post
    tascam dr 60
    tascam dr 70d
    roland r26
    zoom h6
    zoom f4
    Well I would sort of agree with you on some of that. BTW I didn't say all of the problems were with crappy mics and user error, just most of what I saw posted. There was an oops by Tascam that as far as I can tell has been fixed. Tascam has in the past been pretty good about fixing product issues and while I don't doubt some of the bad service reports I haven't experienced them, I have always had really good support from Tascam.

But the DR-40 is not the most recent recorder out there and there are products close in price (at least to what I paid) that are as good and better.

The F4 is one, not so sure about the dr 70d though it has had some issues, the R26 is over twice his price point. What sane person in this day and age is going to drop over $600 for a handheld recorder (that isn't named NAGRA)? H6? maybe, hard to say. All the H series have had issues with the markings wearing off after moderate usage. It's rare to see an H4 that has been in use have readable labels. The DR60 is, for many, is a very awkward size. You can't put it in a bag but it's not a hand held.

For the right person in the right circumstance these are all probably the perfect choice, but only two of them are really apples to apples with a DR40.
    Last edited by Noiz2; 11-30-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: My mixing up posts
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post

The F4 is one, not so sure about the dr 70d though it has had some issues, the R26 is over twice his price point. What sane person in this day and age is going to drop over $600 for a handheld recorder (that isn't named NAGRA)? H6? maybe, hard to say. All the H series have had issues with the markings wearing off after moderate usage. It's rare to see an H4 that has been in use have readable labels. The DR60 is, for many, is a very awkward size. You can't put it in a bag but it's not a hand held.

For the right person in the right circumstance these are all probably the perfect choice, but only two of them are really apples to apples with a DR40.
    R26 is expensive true, would probably look for one used if I was looking. The sound I've gotten out of those has always been a pleasure. H6 is a real workhorse, it used to be used a lot in smaller TV productions where I live, I would assume most of those moved on to F8s since that model came out. SQ and reliability trumps smallish concerns such as labeling fading over time IMO, and the h6 is great on both of those fronts. I never liked the form factor of it though. DR-60, yeah, it wierd. 70 is more civilized. Really, the only things similar in form to the DR-40 are the R26, h4n and maybe h6. Then again that handheld form factor isn't really a plus for one man band interview shooting, rigging the recorder under the camera seems like it may work better for that kind of thing.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Akos Baranya View Post
    tascam dr 60
    tascam dr 70d
    roland r26
    zoom h6
    zoom f4
    here are together 2 different type of recorder. those that have internalmicrophone, those not. i d preferably go fot those with internal mic top have more usability. also some of them are in a totally different price range
    Lumix GH3 +Neway CL77H +Rokkor MD50 +Rokkor MD135 + Rokkor 35-75 +Lumix 14-45 +Lumix 45-175

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12