1. Collapse Details
    Converting 29.97 fps to 23.98 fps
    Hi, I am finishing a film in 23.98 fps but my colorist accidently mastered in 29.97 fps and it can't be undone, what is the best way to get it back to 23.98 fps? I work in Final Cut Pro X 10.4.4.
    When I view the files he sent me (in vlc for example), every fifth frame is a repeated still frame with no movement.
    I import the files into a 23.98 fps timeline in FCPX, but that fifth freezed frame is still there (and also when I export).
    How can I properly convert 29.97 fps into 23.98? I tried to convert it in Mpeg Streamclip going into 23.98 fps but it didn't work, it looks the same.
    Thank you for any help.
    Last edited by orange; 11-28-2018 at 11:43 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Why can't it be undone? He can't re-render at 23.98?

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

3. Collapse Details
    What I've understood it is not possible to just re-render (in Davinci Resolve), he would have to mount and grade everything from scratch again in a timeline of a different framerate. Sounds crazy, I know.

4. Collapse Details
    That’s just wrong info AFAIK. I think your colourist has made a major mistake and is now asking you to pick up the pieces. I don’t know the exact or simplest way to do it in DVR, but have used the program enough to know there is definitely a way to do it.They should do the necessary research and work out how to make the change. Whatever re-transcoding you do on the export will cause a loss of quality. There are several great DVR forums around that should be able to give them the solution quickly and easily.

Good luck!

Jason
    ----------------
    Freelance Site: www.Opticalism.com/jason
    Company Site: www.Opticalism.com
    Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/jasonbrooks/videos
    Africa Blog: www.Opticalism.com/travels

Sum Ergo Edo.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbrooks View Post
    That’s just wrong info AFAIK. I think your colourist has made a major mistake and is now asking you to pick up the pieces. I don’t know the exact or simplest way to do it in DVR, but have used the program enough to know there is definitely a way to do it.They should do the necessary research and work out how to make the change. Whatever re-transcoding you do on the export will cause a loss of quality. There are several great DVR forums around that should be able to give them the solution quickly and easily.

Good luck!

Jason
    +1
    I render different clips in different framerates in 4K or in 1080 from the same timeline.

I guess he imported clips with different framerates in his timeline. Resolve asks if the time-line frame rate has to be changed then or not. I think he clicked 'yes'.

6. Collapse Details
    The main issue here would be the audio if it's locked (would be/may be slightly out-of-sync in the new timeline).

Ask him to 'copy-and-paste' (or whatever you do in Resolve) into a 23.98p/24p timeline and export a new master and review it to see if/how noticeable it may be.

That only takes a few seconds and you can at least take a look.

---

At the end of the day, it's not the end-of-the-world if everything looks good, sounds good in the 29.97p/30p timeline, but it of course should be correct as it was intended to be.