1. Collapse Details
    Which A7X series can record >30 minutes and don't overheat?
    Hey,

I'm looking to record video for a podcast. Lengths tend to be around 2 hours, generally shorter but also could go longer.

I was thinking of using a GH5 as that can record for a long time without issue, but was reading that the A7X series can also do this via the PlayMemories hack, but that this feature had been removed in some of the newer bodies. I'm also a little nervy about overheating.

Thus, I'm looking for a camera that

a) can record >30 minutes (via hack etc)
    b) can record for around 2 hours without overheating (battery/cards pending)

Which Sony cameras can do this? I believe the A7S II and A7R II can both do this, but that the III series cameras (A7R III, A7 III) cannot. Is this the case?

Also, can the long record hack still be done now or is it an issue with newer bodies/firmware etc, so if I got an A7R/S II I'd be ok or not?

Can anyone help me out please, thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure which cameras can still utilize the hack (the old ones may not even be able to if they are on new firmware but not totally sure), but I would really consider an external recorder for back-up recording, which should also take care of the recording limit.

If you choose to use a recorder and only record externally and not internally that should take care of most overheating as well.

Regardless, you're always taking a risk recording that long continuously (with any camera).

3. Collapse Details
    My A7sii can so this. I did the hack. However, overheating may be an issue depending on some factors.
    Recording internally in HD...probably ok.
    Internally in 4k UHD...maybe not.

The risk increases when using internal batteries and internal 4k recording.
    I attached an atomos power station for power so I'm not using internal batteries.
    Also you could use an external recorder as NorBro said to bypass the other factor.

Panasonics don't seem to have the overheat issue.

4. Collapse Details
    GH# or record externally (or find a used FS100/700)
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

5. Collapse Details
    A7sii and A6500 will work with the hack if you get one with an older firmware. I believe Sony “fixed the glitch” somewhere along the line with a firmware update. I miss my two Sony cameras with the hack - they did 2.5 hours easy. The Rx10ii/iii also can use the hack, though I forget if Sony fixed them or not - I don’t think so...

That being said, it’s probably more hassle than it’s worth unless scouring Craigslist and camera shops for an early version is your thing. It was mine ;)
    Nate Haustein

PXW-FS5 / iMac i7 / FCPX

6. Collapse Details
    I have an A6300 with the hack and firmware update that allows the camera to reach higher temperatures before shutting down. In UHD, I can fill a 64GB card without issue, using a dummy battery and AC adapter. You can still hack A6300s according to this thread.
    On the original firmware, I found I could extend the record time to 50 minutes by adapting vintage lenses that utilized metal housings to effectively act as a heat-sink.