Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The door is wide open for someone to completely WOW the world.

As mentioned above, the Pocket 4K is doing that now (but many will still never trust the camera), so a Japanese competitor would be perfect to once again change and "FS7" the world.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph100 View Post
    ... I'm really happy I went with the EVA-1 and would do so again. It has a super image, great codecs, very expandable and also very light and compact when needed. Only thing I wish it had is the AF of the C200 on the rare times AF would be handy.
    No mention about viewfinder & LCD screen? :-)

But on the bigger points, people I know who own or have worked with the EVA-1 really like the images they get out of the camera (I do too), and everything else Murph mentions. Looks like some people think it's not the way to go for verite/handheld docs (and not just of the AF issues)... but boy... getting really pretty pictures without tons of technical hurdles... That's a very good thing.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

3. Collapse Details
    I dont think anyone will knock the image.

Lets say my FS7 was nicked and I had the insurance wedge.. yep Id look at the EVA, but for another£1200 I get the 7.. and well you know its safe, producers have heard of it bla boring bla.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Ya...producers... can't live with them, often can't live without them...

So here's a point: I really prefer the EVA-1's image to that of the FS7. But for something I'm producing next month, the camop/DP I'll be working with suggests using a FS7II...and he has plenty of experience with Alexa, RED, Canon, and the rest (he's been doing this for 25 years or so). AND he doesn't own a FS7; we will rent the camera (still working on what glass we'll use). There are plenty of reasons, but you know... horses for courses. I love his work (and that of the gaffer we'll also be working with), and I trust him. So I'll be happy with what we get.

But if your market and clients will accept it, and it fits your workstyle, the EVA-1 is definately worth checking out. Is what (I consider) the superior image worth potential tradeoffs?
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Having owned an Fs7 and now working with a EVA1 I find the image coming out of the EVA1 superior to the FS7. I also like that I don't need to build a massive camera to get TC out like on the FS7. The EVA1 VF is junk but works as a touch panel with the home screen well and I always used an external even with my FS7 so its not a big deal to me.

The EVA1 is the best camera that no one seems to have heard of.
    Frame Farm Media
    www.framefarmmedia.com

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    I am from Middle Europe nad I have been on demo of EVA last year. Distributor was so excited about camera and he was 100% sure that they will sell tone of those. For me, it was ok camera but lack of 4k60 10bit and missing evf were dealbraker for me for the price. Couple months after demo there was first price drop - about 15% - and when I was talking to distributor and he said, almost nobody bought the camera yet. Fast forward today. Currently Panasonic+Distributor run special offer - it means another 30% down..

Dont say it is bad camera! Just people are not buying it much, at least in my region.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    I like my EVA1! A few things that I think would have made it WAY more popular (but also by no means make it anywhere close to "bad")... even if not all of them, may have included:

- Much Better LCD (sort of killed off some of the "lightweight" advantage by needing to accessorize)
    - 1 More Stop of ND, or an electronic variable ND (again, can't go super shallow in bright outdoor... bring on the extra filters or mattebox, etc.)
    - Internal 4k60p 10-bit 422 to SD Cards (again, need an external recorder for quality 4K slow motion)
    - Low Bitrate FHD slow motion options
    - A handful of UI tweaks for speed/easy of use (more suited to methodically paced production VS the life of run'n'gun OMB filmmakers - the menu is slow and clunky VS GH5 for quick work, especially when switching shooting formats often or Base ISO often).
    - Either 2 SDI ports (to allow external recording + SDI EVF) or quality in built EVF. You can't use a Gractical Eye + an SDI connection to a Shogun for RAW or 4k 60p 10-bit, etc. Choose one!
    - Living up to the Dual ISO 2500 promise a bit better, especially on that first launch series of videos (but still today - you can't really push over 2500 as much as you can over 800). The camera, IMO, esentially renders professionally useable footage up to around 3200 ISO, YMMV, some may say 5000 with NR in post. And 2500 isn't as clean as 800, but it's close. I think most hoped for a more perfect match between 800/2500 and perfectly clean up to 5000.
    - Better AF. I don't care, everyone else seems to.

The EVA1's main problem in the market seems to be being better enough to warrant a switch or upgrade from established familiars. It's not. As a newcomer marketting services not cameras, to me it makes perfect sense to buy the EVA1 over an FS7. But if you're an FS7 owner, why sell and swap? For every good check box, you incur a few losses, too.

One of the bottom line assessments on the camera is that it was heavily pitched as the ultimate small/light setup, but then made a few CRUCIAL compromises to that promise by omitting a quality LCD and/or EVF, omitting quality slow motion internally (low bitrate FHD slow motion and no 4k60p 10-bit internal), now requiring heavier/clunkie 3rd party accessories which bring the size and weight back up considerably. That and the anemic ND filter options that falls a little short of being fully useful. That and I still find the menus slow to work with VS a GH5, YMMV.

Anyway it seems to be a camera of mixed identity, undercutting its key advantages. By the time you are fully up to speed you lose the size weight / advantage over the FS7 and now you are faced with upgrading your FS7 to gain a few novelty features of the EVA1 but lose the E-Mount/Speedbooster Combo and internal 4k60p 10-bit, amongst name recognition.

The camera had potential to be a 10/10 for me, unfortunately, resides at 7.5-8/10. I am a OMB and my clients don't know my camera until I show up on set, so I am only selling services.

I think the upcoming S1 may actually tick all my boxes in the meantime though - smaller and lighter, IBIS, should have comparable lowlight and DR, and may have even better internal recording options. It will not replace my EVA1 though, just be another option.

I look forward to the EVA2, whenever it may come!
    Last edited by filmguy123; 11-20-2018 at 11:56 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    When I first took a look at the Eva1 it was clear Panasonic did a worse clone of the FS5. Image quality is supposed to be fine but that doesn't cut it as a better tool. All of these S35 video cameras have good enough images so image quality comes more as a thing of personal taste. But the FS5 is very easy to use with a solid 1080p codec and easy switching of modes. It's also nicely balanced to hold and a good LCD screen to work with.

I think Sony sold as many FS7 as they could during the first years and I don't see anything better it at that price even today. It really is remarkable. So in order to rock a FS7 out of its number one spot something has to come that betters it in all aspects. Not saying the FS7 is perfect but it does most things good enough.

I've shot a lot on my FS5 this year and less so on the FS7 due to the kind of jobs I got, but every time I return to the FS7 I'm releaved of how easy it is to use and how great the stuff I get out of it is. It's just such an excellent tool for not much cash.

I also find it interesting that price on the FS7 hasn't dropped really and now I see that Eva1 being dropped in price considerable indicationg it doesn't sell to well.

It's a bit like with the AF100. Close but no cigarr.

9. Collapse Details
    > I also find it interesting that price on the FS7 hasn't dropped really
    Didn't Sony drop FS7, FS7II, and FS5 prices by about $1000 last Summer?
    https://www.photographybay.com/2017/...000-price-drop
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

10. Collapse Details
    Yea, they've had a few different drops on and off (at least @B&H).

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast