Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I agree, you need the right camera for the job. I would love to have a EVA1 with a PL mount, but have decide to use BAlackmagic Ursa Broadcast for my event work, replacing the AF 100 for most event work, so I could have the option of using B4 ENG zooms, in addition to PL lenses.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny16; 11-27-2018 at 02:33 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OnSet View Post
    It's amusing to see the disparity of TimeCode comments... For anyone who works with a sound person who uses a modern mixer, TimeCode is an absolute necessity. When working in documentary situations I've found that the sound person will record more than two tracks most of the time -- unless it's a single person sit-down with only the boom and a single lav. Sometimes I'll get a wireless hop from the mixer, sometimes I'll be on a hard-wire snake, but in either case the audio recorded in the mixer can prove important. Not to mention just having camera mic when shooting on a Ronin... So for me, I no longer consider cameras without TC input (which is one of the reasons I bought a GH5s to go with the EVA1 - though I'm not wild about the TC input sync implementation on the GH5s... but that's a different thread).
    Does TC make the camera 'popular' -- ? No, not particualrly... But for those who need the feature it's an absolute necessity. For me, 90% of my shoots have a sound person, so the TimeCode requirement was a no-brainer.
    I'd love to hear more of your thoughts about the TC on the GH5S? As it hasn't been widely discussed much yet (even though it is a very unique feature! The first of its kind to have it built in as an option)
    Last edited by IronFilm; 11-26-2018 at 11:29 PM.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

3. Collapse Details
    Over on the GH Camera forum this was brought up recently: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...ut-not-reading
    Cheers

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny16 View Post
    Yes, well put. But, you can change out the EVA1s EF mount for a PL, with the Wooden Camera mod kit.
    Cheers
    And of course the Varicam LT has a EF mount by default the PL mount is an additional accessory.

5. Collapse Details
    Yes, and too bad Panasonic didn’t include this option on the EVA1, even if it added an extra $100-200 to the cost.
    Cheers

6. Collapse Details
    I can't speak to all things everywhere, but in the world Im in EVA1 has had a great impact. The EVA1 came at a time when the market was already pretty crowded and busy, but Im seeing it more and more in people's hands around the place. I've also noticed a few with higher end expectations jump on it since Prores raw was released. If people havent used it they should at least be looking at it. The prores raw on EVA1 image is exceptional.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    As mentioned above, the Pocket 4K is doing that now (but many will still never trust the camera)...
    I honestly cannot understand how BM gets away with its absolutely atrocious lack of QC in its camera manufacturing process. People have received BMPCC4k cameras with white ghosting on the screen, buttons installed backwards (seriously, is anyone checking these cams before they go out the door), that don't turn on or shut off....etc. I asked this reviewer to do the BMPCC and guess what, the camera he received was defective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULDtgsGr4BU Any conversation about BM cameras has to include their QC/dependability issues, and that is why I wouldn't touch any of their cameras for professional work with a 10 foot pole. Sorry for the tangent.

8. Collapse Details
    A friend came by with an EVAI today, curious to see how well it worked on my Ronin-s. I was very impressed with the camera and the light weight. Stripped down, coupled with a high brightness external 7" monitor mounted on the Ronin-s, it was up and balanced with a pancake 40mm lens in minutes, even put a Sigma 10-20mm zoom on it.

Won't be selling my GH5/s cameras for it, due to the ecosystem I have around them, and the greater versatility in what those two GH5 cameras can do for me, but really nice! The next generation of EVA will certainly be on my radar.
    Jim Arthurs

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos13 View Post
    I honestly cannot understand how BM gets away with its absolutely atrocious lack of QC in its camera manufacturing process. People have received BMPCC4k cameras with white ghosting on the screen, buttons installed backwards (seriously, is anyone checking these cams before they go out the door), that don't turn on or shut off....etc. I asked this reviewer to do the BMPCC and guess what, the camera he received was defective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULDtgsGr4BU Any conversation about BM cameras has to include their QC/dependability issues, and that is why I wouldn't touch any of their cameras for professional work with a 10 foot pole. Sorry for the tangent.
    Because their cameras are cheap and most of their customer base is more concerned with price than quality.

10. Collapse Details
    I've owned a small fortune of BM cameras over the years and have been pretty lucky myself (some quirks here and there), but I for sure have seen and read it all.

A common consensus in the original BM community (before the rest of the world found out they existed after the Pocket 4K's release) was everyone was petty much willing to sacrifice anything - including QC - for the image quality and price because there was nothing that could compare at the time (this was 2012-13-14...even into 2015), but as cameras improved drastically for much less money (2016 was the start, IMO) it makes it harder to justify the potential inconvenience.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast