Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Is the EVA1 popular or not?
    Hey, everybody, I’ve been checking in back and forth about the EVA1 and I’ve just been noticing a general lack of EVA1 news and info and it made me wonder if maybe the camera just isn’t popular? I know the hot camera of the moment is the Blackmagic Pocket 4K but even in comparison and shootout videos the EVA1 often isn’t even a consideration. Aside from the 5.7K RAW not being truly available with current recorders (unless something’s changed since last I checked), the camera seemed like a good one so what’s the consensus? Any particular issues holding it down? Is it actually really popular but simply an unsung hero of production?
    Last edited by Zack Birlew; 11-19-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    "Babs Do or Babs Do not, there is no try." - Zack Birlew
    Production Company - www.BabsDoProductions.com
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Babs-D...11985705544940
    Pond5 Artist Page - https://www.pond5.com/artist/BabsDoProd

2. Collapse Details
    The cameras problem is that is an FS7 three years late to market. Or an overpriced GH5. Depending what hat you are wearing.

As it happens neither of those things make it a bad camera (I think it is probably excellent) probably just not one that will be popular.

My personal beleif is that MFT mount (and mode) would have made it considerably more appealing as canon mount excludes GH4 upgraders who are invested in MFT glass.

Stragtegically it is poorly conceived by panasonic. Is its only metier as a small Bcam to the Vari (a great thing for the four people who own varicams)
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 11-19-2018 at 11:44 PM.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Most of the EVA community seems to be on the 2 x Facebook groups dedicated the the camera, the community there is very active.
    I have an EVA and apart from the terrible LCD its a fantastic camera, really good colours, range and functionality plus a very robust choice of recording formats and codecs.
    Our clients are very happy with the images we're getting from this cam, Its also just had a price drop so well worth investing if your looking for an upgrade.
    EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

4. Collapse Details
    +1 on this ! I bought one myself after looking at the other contenders, BM Ursa Mini Pro, C200, FS5mkii and I'm really happy I went with the EVA-1 and would do so again. It has a super image, great codecs, very expandable and also very light and compact when needed. Only thing I wish it had is the AF of the C200 on the rare times AF would be handy.

Quote Originally Posted by TubEfingers View Post
    Most of the EVA community seems to be on the 2 x Facebook groups dedicated the the camera, the community there is very active.
    I have an EVA and apart from the terrible LCD its a fantastic camera, really good colours, range and functionality plus a very robust choice of recording formats and codecs.
    Our clients are very happy with the images we're getting from this cam, Its also just had a price drop so well worth investing if your looking for an upgrade.

5. Collapse Details
    Seems like a very nice camera, but I have yet to see many people using them in the field. Problem is it added very little to a market already largely occupied by FS7 and FS5. It doesn't have the ND filter or size or price or lensmount of the FS5 and it doesn't have the LUTs or formfactor of the FS7. It does have better codecs for image quality but not for editing. It's a bit of a hard sell despite all the things it has going for it. I don't think you'd really necessarily go wrong buying one but its hard to specifically recommend it over a used FS7 or FS5 given existing market share and used prices. You're more likely to have producers and other owner/operators who are familiar with the Sony or might ask for them. I can't really see the EVA1 taking over the market share despite all the things it does right, especially with competition from the C200, which sits in a similar place as a nice option but a hard to recommend buy given little improvement over Sony's offerings. Of course people who already have their minds made up about color science may have different things to say, but they can all look very good and graded to match.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel
    http://www.noahyv.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    I've owned my EVA1 for almost a year now, so here's my take on it...
    If your business model has you sitting around waiting for clients to come out of the woodwork and specifically ask for the EVA1 then you're probably not going to be happy. No-one has ever called and said "I hear you have an EVA1 and I'd therefore like to hire you." If you want a specifically asked-for camera get a C300Mk2 an FS7m2 (or an Amira or Alexa Mini). I do also have clients who specifically ask for my old F3 or EX1 for multicam shoots to match what they own - and I'm happy to bring them and get the rentals whenever needed -- and I'm surprised that those cameras still get calls - and continue to make more than their resale value every year...

But...
    If a large portion of your clients just want a camera that makes a beautiful 4K image they will be extremely happy with the EVA1. Every client for whom I've shot with it has asked for it again (even if they don't remember the camera name).
    For me, the fact that the camera accepts or sends time code, plus provides multiple simultaneous outputs while recording 4k, has an easy-to-use 1.4x 4k crop option made it an easy decision. Plus the light weight and easy configuration options fit my style of shooting. Yes, I use a Zacuto EVF, but I still keep the LCD on the camera for the producer to glance at.
    I bought the EVA1 rather than an FS7 because I liked the color a lot better and because it was small and light (and didn't need a large appendage to do time code - which Itypically need.) I've been happy with my decision. I also shoot for Producers who own FS7's - and when they do multicam shoots they may rent extra FS7's (and not spend much on the rentals). Strangest thing... we try matching the FS7's with their setup cards - and we're never completely happy with the way they match - or particularly happy with the color/look.
    Do I expect that the EVA1 will 'take over' the market segment? -- no. But I've honestly used the camera more in the first year than I thought I would have, and have never had a client unhappy with the results!

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    I bought a C300 MkI right when it came out. At the time everyone wanted the F3 and I wondered if I made a good call.

After 3 years of rentals and making my investment back many times over I sold the package and picked up an FS7 in Dec 2014 when it was first released. For about 6 months it was hard to get it on jobs because everyone was attached to the C300.

Producers get used to having a go-to camera in each price point and it's hard to convince them to switch. I think the EVA will continue to make inroads as DP's are able to convince clients to try something new and the clients see the added quality in the footage.

The only drawback to the EVA over the FS7 is the lens mount - the E mount is a winner for versatility. I have the Wooden Camera PL mod for the EVA and I'm switching back and forth between PL and EF way more than I would like. But at the end of the day the EVA is a superior camera to the FS7 in terms of image and color science - my clients have been really happy with it and I've only had a couple jobs in the last year that I wasn't able to convince to make the switch.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    The cameras problem is that is an FS7 three years late to market. Or an overpriced GH5.
    This pretty much sums it up.

Particularly the price for the features; just way too expensive in 2017/18 for what it offers, IMO. [C200 too.]

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    This pretty much sums it up.

Particularly the price for the features; just way too expensive in 2017/18 for what it offers, IMO. [C200 too.]
    What should it have as features to be competitive or price wise so it's not seen as "too late"?

10. Collapse Details
    Just the next generation of features in which cameras are heading; better resolution, better slow-motion, no cropping of any kind, internal RAW, better dynamic range, new LOG profiles (V-Log 2), better AF, etc.

Anything that will justify its price to those like myself who would never pay this amount (in today's world...would have paid double 10 years ago).

The main reason (or in the top 2) the FS7 was and is so popular is because they simply provided what they did first for that price. No one else did or came close besides Blackmagic but no one would give them the time of day in 2014 besides broke "filmmakers".

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast