1. Collapse Details
    Sony a7iii firmware update v2.0 issue
    Ok, so I had a mini heart attack today.

I have done firmware updates on many cameras / camcorders with no issues in the past.

I have a brand new A7iii and wanted to put v2.0 in to it. So I downloaded the updater, picked up one of my fully charged batteries (third party).

Ran the update ... the green bar had completed but I was told the update failed and for me to take the battery out and turn the camera off and on.

There was a glowing red light on the camera which indicated the camera had frozen in update mode. But I followed the instruction.

I took the battery out, and switched the camera back on. So I went back in to the updater but now it said that the camera already had the latest version of firmware on it. So the update worked but I was falsely given a "update failed" message.

So something is wrong with Sonys updating software OR the fact I used a third party battery was the issue. Either one.

Anybody else had any problems yet? I regret going to v2 as I keep randomly getting a message saying that the third party battery should be used at my own risk. Otherwise it does appear to work fine.

2. Collapse Details
    I updated mine recently and it went well (as it always does).

I agree it's probably the 3rd party battery.

---

These new Sony batteries last so so long...really should look into them (although I understand $78 for one is not ideal for everyone).

At one point (never again), I used to buy V-mount bricks for $200-$300 (which is considered a bargain for some) for cameras that would chew them up in 30-45 mins, so this is just the best.

3. Collapse Details
    I have had similar experience back in March when I bought camera. I was updating firmware and it crashed. I had original battery. A7iii stopped working and I almost had hearth attack). Fortunately second try for update was fine. I have read couple comments on forums that this happend to more people. But in the end it was ok.

Btw not sure if problem with 128 cards with new firmware was fixed. There was article on sonyalpharumors some time ago.