Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    DJI Ronin-S VS. Zhiyun-Tech Crane 3
    I want to get a gimbal for a A73 to use with various lenses, including some longer lenses. I do not know much about gimbals, does anyone have any thoughts between these two DJI Ronin-S VS. Zhiyun-Tech Crane 3? I might want to add a field monitor at some point, not sure if I should, I might want to add a on camera boom sometimes. It seems the Crane 3 has a large capacity weight limit. Other then that, what else makes one better than the other?

Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark-P View Post
    I want to get a gimbal for a A73 to use with various lenses, including some longer lenses. I do not know much about gimbals, does anyone have any thoughts between these two DJI Ronin-S VS. Zhiyun-Tech Crane 3? I might want to add a field monitor at some point, not sure if I should, I might want to add a on camera boom sometimes. It seems the Crane 3 has a large capacity weight limit. Other then that, what else makes one better than the other?

Thanks.
    Personally I have never used the Crane 3, only the Crane 2 and I own a Ronin-S and have owned and tested many single hand gimbals in general DJI has much better build quality and much better app functionality which together pretty much put it in a different class than anything else out there. Zhiyun and Moza etc all come out with a new gimbal every few months with very slight improvements but their overall app functionality and calibration and tuning process and build quality are pretty poor despite the incrementally higher specs and designs. In a year you'll have a Crane 3 which will be replaced by a new slightly better model that drops the value of yours exponentially, or you'll have a Ronin-S which was a steal for the price and still probably won't be replaced by anything else then.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel
    http://www.noahyv.com

3. Collapse Details
    Not crane3 but with Moza air2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeN3N081Ao

4. Collapse Details
    I had a chance to play with the Ronin S the other night at a party, someone was shooting with the 5D MK IV. Nice but too big and heavy unless you need the weight capacity. Strong motors but the thing is a beast as far as weight and size. Every extra ounce will tire you that much quicker when free holding a device away from your body. People who fly FS5s and C200s on these things are crazy, it will tire you out in about :45, then you get shakey, then the gimbal is fighting the micro jitters. Not the right tool for a heavy camera. And if your rig is lighter, I would advise a smaller, lighter gimbal. I like the Ronin-S, I just wish it was a lot lighter and bit smaller.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    Are those the only two gimbals you are interested in? I'm doing
    a review of another gimbal which is similar (back motor out
    of the way of the screen, 7lb plus weight carrying capacity
    but significantly lighter gimbal than the Ronin S.)

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nyvz View Post
    Zhiyun and Moza etc all come out with a new gimbal every few months...
    As if on cue...

ZHIYUN WEEBILL LAB Hands-On Review
    by Matthew Allard

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/11/...ll-lab-review/

Only tried a Ronin-S briefly during CineGear, & it did feel a bit hefty, but what I like is it’s part of a system that’s expandable, & supposedly dual-handles are coming.

That said I’m still sporting a Crane v1, & not planning on replacing it in the near term, mostly because it get’s much less use than when originally purchased. Gimbals are great for some shots, but I typically prefer the handheld look, much like I prefer hand-pulled zooms to servo’s.

Would love to be able to pull focus with the gimbal, & that may eventually lead to picking up a replacement.
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 11-14-2018 at 11:13 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Here's my review I was talking about if anyone is interested
    https://alaskacameradude.blogspot.co...-in-akthe.html

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    I've rented both recently and tried them with my 5d and my C100. The Ronin handles the C100 pretty well, it is heavier but I found it easier to control.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskacameradude View Post
    Here's my review I was talking about if anyone is interested
    https://alaskacameradude.blogspot.co...-in-akthe.html
    Nice! I haven't even heard of this gimbal, good review. I just ordered the Crane 2. I have the Crane 1 but need more weight capacity and the controls on my Crane 1 are going out.
    I tried the Ronin S, great gimbal but too heavy for my needs, I'll be moving from a fairly heavy DSLR to the Fujifilm XT-3, nice and light so I think the Crane 2 is a better choice for me.

I don't really get or care about focusing knobs, Zooming, apps and all of the other frou-frou, I simply mount a camera with DAF or decent AF/Face Recognition like the Fuji has and shoot.
    For me, gimbal is kind of like better handheld, small, subtle moves, tripod shots without setting up a tripod, an occasional follow talent shot but for me, gimbal is just an extra, only used on
    about 20% of shoots because I only like to move the camera when there is a storytelling reason to move it. The constantly moving/roaming camera aesthetic generally is horrible and I hate it.
    Most of that is from people who have a gimbal and think that it should be used for every shot and don't understand visual language.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    Got my focus unit today. I find it quite incredible when I think about it:

4K60p to internal compressed raw, in a light composite body with a huge screen that you can speedboost to around 1.22x crop equivalence and put on a powerful, one hand gimbal with motorised focus for $2300! Add lenses and media.

What the effin' hell?!? Oh, and it includes a studio license to a world class NLE/Color Grading/Compositing/Audio app....

@andreemarkefors

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast