Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The only technical issue is that lenses designed for larger formats don't have to have the same outright resolving power as those designed for smaller formats. For equivalent pixel counts the smaller sensors have smaller pixels and need higher resolving lenses to obtain the same output resolution. I've heard that smaller lenses for smaller formats are easier to design which may be something to do with the fixed refractive index of glass which doesn't scale the same way. Also don't forget that most if not all lenses we use for video are primarily designed for stills and hence much higher resolutions - 4k is just under 9mp.....

2. Collapse Details
    I've always felt lenses with bigger glass rendered a more pleasing image. They way the light bounces around the lens shapes and distorts things in a more cinematic way.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    illusion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    I've always felt lenses with bigger glass rendered a more pleasing image. They way the light bounces around the lens shapes and distorts things in a more cinematic way.
    Or, this could be the famous American "its bigger, therefore must be better " ;-)

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    Light doesn't 'bounce around the lens'. Light travels in a straight line and is refracted by the glass elements in a controlled way. If it didn't the lens couldn't form an image on the sensor. If lens flare or
    more accurately 'non image forming light ' is what you define as 'cinematic' then this can just as easily be created in a small lens or a big lens by removing a lens hood or matte box and removing lens coatings and internal baffles and non reflective surfaces.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Can you present some examples of images looking 'cheaper and smaller' coming from m43 glass? Shoot the same subject with different lenses and post it here. Like Milvus vs Leica 42.5 or a pro Oly. Interested to see the results

6. Collapse Details
    Great MFT glass is as good as great FF glass in my experience.
    This isn't an apples to apples comparison, but at the time it's all I had: a comparison between the Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 + Metabones vs the Leica Nocticron.
    I've since traded in the Nocticron for the Olympus 45mm f/1.2 Pro, a far superior optic.

https://youtu.be/O0tRTKA397g

7. Collapse Details
    doe this m43 question/fear exist because people are buying up m43 specific lenses? I have ONE, and then 12 canon style mount lenes. m43 is fine, and if it vanishes, that's ok too. m43 got me into 4K before it was really everywhere, at an affordable price point, and that is awesome.

Of course, there will be levels higher, and then more higher than that... FF --> 8k --> alexa/panavision --> Imax --> ??? --> NASA ? Get and shoot what you can afford realistically.

8. Collapse Details
    Also buy used and when you sell later down the road (and you will) you will lose maybe 10% you are not investing in master primes

Quote Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
    doe this m43 question/fear exist because people are buying up m43 specific lenses? I have ONE, and then 12 canon style mount lenes. m43 is fine, and if it vanishes, that's ok too. m43 got me into 4K before it was really everywhere, at an affordable price point, and that is awesome.

Of course, there will be levels higher, and then more higher than that... FF --> 8k --> alexa/panavision --> Imax --> ??? --> NASA ? Get and shoot what you can afford realistically.

9. Collapse Details
    The entire Northrup video is nothing but provocative clickbait. Northrup's pretense of technical authority has suffered many self-inflicted debacles in his past few years of YouTube notoriety. My favorite is when he claimed SNR = Photons / SQRT (Photons), displaying mathematical ineptitude along with his trademark condescending pedantry.

https://youtu.be/DtDotqLx6nA?t=382

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Wow.

Then he might as well have just said that the signal-to-noise ratio is simply the square root of "photons," since xx = √x. And it would have been more obvious that something was wrong.
    Last edited by combatentropy; 11-09-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast