Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
    Great thread, just found it.

About to start an edit on a doc I shot last week. Beaufort, NC Rachel Carson Preserve is a 1200 acre barrier island that is getting cleaned up, as is the harbor. Some great interviews that help tell the story about plastic in the ocean and sunken boats and the damage they cause to the environment. And we have proof in the Necropsy's. Now to bring it to life, and as Sam points out there is plenty of conflict. Will keep checking this thread.

Fun stuff to shoot and edit, and making a difference.
    What is your end market/audience? How will they see your documentary? (hopefully!)
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    End market is the North Carolina Maritime Museum, Rachel Carson Reserve, NOAA, and BoatU.S. Foundation. All will use to educate on cleaning up our barrier islands, harbors, and estuaries.

3. Collapse Details
    End market is the North Carolina Maritime Museum, Rachel Carson Reserve, NOAA, and BoatU.S. Foundation. All will use to educate on cleaning up our barrier islands, harbors, and estuaries.
    You having any luck with grant applications? Sounds like for that type of audience of non-profits, there might be some $$ available to spread the word?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    You having any luck with grant applications? Sounds like for that type of audience of non-profits, there might be some $$ available to spread the word?
    Yes, NOAA received the grant that covered the production and the cleanup.

Working with a company locally that manages fishing businesses and we are trying to find the funding for a educational/promotional documentary. Hard so far, but what that just makes us dig more.

5. Collapse Details
    Yes, NOAA received the grant that covered the production and the cleanup.

Working with a company locally that manages fishing businesses and we are trying to find the funding for a educational/promotional documentary. Hard so far, but what that just makes us dig more.
    Let us know if you have luck. We are putting together a 3-4 minute trailer in the hopes of finding post funds. Shooting is easy for us, it's mainly gas and sweat equity but post. There is no way my producing partner and I can
    take 3-5 months off regular work to put this film together, so we know we need a great editor, which we have. Now we just need to scare up the funding to pay him for 4-5 months, motion graphics, CC and grade, sound mix, legal,
    and DCP and we'lll have a film.

6. Collapse Details
    Agree, the shooting is one thing but the editing is the real cost. But for me I need to get paid for both. Two more in the works and if I find a good path I will send you a PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Agree, the shooting is one thing but the editing is the real cost. But for me I need to get paid for both. Two more in the works and if I find a good path I will send you a PM.
    Thanks Paul. We are getting ready to embark down the murky road of funding and distribution and it will be painful and frustrating I suspect. Fingers crossed.

8. Collapse Details
    I was going to post something along the lines of puredrifting's long post. Having done post sound and some production on a fair number of documentaries from decently budgeted (for a doc., so pretty low) to micro and student ones to radio productions, the one thing that always seems to be true is that you don't really know the story till you are editing. This is often true with narrative films also. On some docs the "hero" has even changed. So really don't try to force anything, that moves you very much into the "reality TV" zone. The arc will show up at some point and the drama will be there as it is in everyday life.

I would not budget much/ anything for music. At least not at the expense of any other aspect. You are not making a music video, the story is NOT about the music. You may not even need any music and there are a lot of ways to get some that is either licence free or that you do some barter for with a composer. Or do some finishing fund raising and cover it there. You can use anything as temp music if you know you want something in a certain style. Unless you have $50K+ to spend on rights your not going to get any recognizable artists anyway with out them cutting you a deal. On the other hand key footage of a championship game might be critical to your film.

I would go to the team and league powers that be and explain what you want to do and see if they are interested in helping. They are going to find out anyway and at least this way you won't look like you were trying to pull one over on them. For the snips you are likely to need they may let you use them just for credit? Always try to partner first, you do not have the deep pockets to just throw money at it. They might say no, and then you will have to figure out how to tell the story around that issue? But you are not really a conflict for a live broadcast so they might be really flexible.

My experience is that the #1 thing they will worry about is you getting in the way and being a pain in the butt. So talking early to them can go a long way to convincing them that you will be OK to have around. #2 is that you will show them in a bad light. That is trickier since in the end depending on how things work out you might. But talking early again helps since you don't look like you are sneaking around. The other thing they will probably be worried about is a little like #1 that you will be a distraction.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123