Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks puredrifting. Yeah im not sure how the licensing works during the championships, I could try to find out. Not sure If im even allowed to film over there at all, as it will be broadcasted. So there is a limited budget where music is probably going to get a big cut from, If i have to deal with championship licenses there will be nothing left I fear. I could use the results though and play them against b-roll/archive footage. Or even shoot Interviews afterwards of them, when some days/weeks have passed.

2. Collapse Details
    Some excellent advice in this thread. I would also add one thing: take as much care casting your main protagonist as you would when shooting narrative drama. When I choose my subjects for observational docs, the first question I ask myself is, why would an audience care about this person? Are they engaging? Interesting? Compelling? Do I want to spend a year of my life in the company of this person? If the answer is yes, there's a very good chance the audience will want to spend an hour or ninety minutes with them too.

3. Collapse Details
    As usual, great post puredrifting!

If I could ask, which sport is involved?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    As usual, great post puredrifting!

If I could ask, which sport is involved?
    Women's Outrigger Canoe (OC-6s six person canoes like they race in Hawaii and Tahiti)
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    Sorry, I meant for the OP but thanks for clarifying!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    My .02. Don't try to add or create drama and conflict where there aren't any. Don't manufacture it or take a mole hill and try to make it into a mountain.
    I was just about to post about finding the conflict and drama!

If there is not any it probably wont make a good film, if it is invented that will probably show.

Ultimately we need to care about the lead character and want him/her to win.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Great info and advice about doc production here...thanks.

I'm in the midst of making a documentary about my daughter's experiences in marching band, starting from her beginnings as a percussionist through her senior year, when she is now the lead drum major (leader of the whole band). It's been tough pulling a story out of it...the danger is it's my daughter, so I KNOW the story. The trick is making it interesting for everyone else.

Keep the advice coming. Threads like these are why I spend time on this forum, not what data rate my card will support ;)
    Sony FS5, A7RII

8. Collapse Details
    We should keep this thread going, it's going to drop off the page if we don't keep posting. I love hearing about other documentary filmmakers experiences.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

9. Collapse Details
    There are a few interesting classes about documentary film production on Masterclass.com , as well as classes on writing (among other things...cooking or guitar?). I think anyone's experiences during production are useful insight.
    Sony FS5, A7RII

10. Collapse Details
    Great thread, just found it.

About to start an edit on a doc I shot last week. Beaufort, NC Rachel Carson Preserve is a 1200 acre barrier island that is getting cleaned up, as is the harbor. Some great interviews that help tell the story about plastic in the ocean and sunken boats and the damage they cause to the environment. And we have proof in the Necropsy's. Now to bring it to life, and as Sam points out there is plenty of conflict. Will keep checking this thread.

Fun stuff to shoot and edit, and making a difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast