Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    High School. To me this means that your expectations of their ability can be somewhat higher than reality. I started teaching 17-23 year old in college, so one would think a little more capable in level than High School, but no. My 12 years doing this made me re-think many times. Quality is NOT important for the first stage. Simplicity is. Capture is the starting point and getting the right framing, angles and telling the story is the critical thing. DSLRs and cameras that can swap lenses are too far, too soon. I did this - buying a small number of nice cameras and modest lenses and getting them back broken, or with scratched glass or broken flaps etc. We tried making them sign for them with the parents having to agree to fund repairs and replacements. Didn't work. We got loads of out of focus, wobbly cam footage that failed before even going into the editors. We swapped to HD handicams. flip out viewfinders, pretty nice audio, easy to hold, full auto, and loads of batteries. We kept the nice cameras for year two, once they had made progress capturing usable images. We discovered that many students were still producing base quality products in their second year, only a few having the ability to move up to manual operation, with more sophisticated kit. We used this split approach for media, but also for our audio courses - nobody got to use the delicate and sophisticated kit till they had proven themselves.

I fear that your expectations may be just too high. They will, if they behave like mine, bring back cameras with water inside, front elements scratched, viewfinders broken, and McDonalds grease everywhere. Sensors will have fingerprints and stuff like sand inside - we have the sea close by, and they change lenses in the wind, and the rubbish goes inside. Start with cheap kit, cheap tripods, no decent external mics etc etc. Buy enough of this kit to have spares - you will need them. Keep just a few quality systems for the best students. I also discovered that I'd run the programme and one group would produce excellent results. The next course though would be inept, and breakages and costs went up. Often with no budget for repair and replacement. If you've been asked to do the course, are you aware of the students attitudes and abilities? I wasn't, and it was a shock to see expensive shotguns in expensive housings being whacked into door frames, or leant up against walls because they were heavy, and then knocked over. Crazy stuff I hope you don't experience!

2. Collapse Details
    Really depends on the people...that's not going to happen with everyone.

3. Collapse Details
    No - there will be plenty of exceptions, but the distance from the learners is the critical one. Every wonderful project, reviewed a few years later is never as good as I thought it was. Even worse is that out off 30 students, maybe two or three really have the aptitude. Most colleges have an equipment graveyard, schools - at least here - are even worse.

4. Collapse Details
    I think the people that WANT to be there and learn is whom you probably would like to teach.

Anyone that's forced to take 'just another course' and has no interest in the subject (photography/video) will probably provide you the results you're reporting (with the few exceptions).

5. Collapse Details
    I agree with Paulears, I did a little teaching at a 2 yr video program at our local Community college, most of the kids did not progress to a production level beyond hand held palm cameras that could take advantage of the Panasonic 150s. They will to shoot with their cell phones if you let them. They need to get the basics learned first, shot composition, frame lead/head room, exposure, white balance and using a tripod. They need to be instructed to use their cameras in manual mode versus auto mode.

But they do try and that is important, that's why we are there to help them learn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12