Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Doug You right, it is good enough at 12db, hd and full hd quality is for me nice, uhd looks little muddy, but i havnt bought it for uhd anyway. For live coverage ant events it is good all rounder, and as i have fs7 ..some accesories will fit , also menu system is similar..just less options.If U are sony shooter and dont want to spent much more for z280 it is still good option.

2. Collapse Details
    A lot of chatter on the 280/190 Facebook page about lens problems. Cameras being sent back, etc. Anyone here having any issues? You will need to join to see the page.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/512284155897936/

3. Collapse Details
    No lens problems on my cameras, but I did have to run the automated back-focus adjustment once on the Z280 to fine-tune it. Takes about 2 minutes. I'm not on Fecebook so can't see the complaints from others about their experience.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 11-26-2018 at 06:45 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Not on Facebook? How do you know what your "friends" had for lunch?

5. Collapse Details
    Yes, sadly I have to go through life being ignorant of all the inane details of the lives of other people.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    No lens problems on my cameras, but I did have to run the automated back-focus adjustment once on the Z280 to fine-tune it. Takes about 2 minutes. I'm not on Fecebook so can't see the complaints from others about their experience.
    Hi Doug,

I was wondering if you could answer a few things for me. I bought a PXW-Z190 from Adorama the day it released and I really love it so far. I've had no lens issues and no Sandisk SDXC card issues and I'm using Sandish Extreme Pro SDXC-I cards with 95Mb/s speed. I have two 128GB, two 256GB. and two 512GB cards. So my first question:

1) I am using the camcorder to cover mostly Japanese anime conventions and video game conventions in places like conventions centers (The Javits Center, Los Angeles Convention Center, hotels), also product lauches in flagship stores (like the Nintendo World New York Store in Manhattan), and doing interviews with guests at said conventions. I am not a professional by ANY means and this is my first "professional" camcorder (my previous was a old Panasonic AG-HMC40). Do you think I made the correct choice in camcorders for the work I am doing? Would you recommend I upgrade to the Z280 in the future (after I get familiar with the Z190 and how it operates) or do you think the Z-190 would serve me perfectly fine for what I am doing?

2) I know the Z-190 has smaller sensors than the Z-280 but I think its pretty amazing even at a high dB gain so far. I've been shooting in full-auto but would you recommend I shoot in manual for darker lit rooms or should I continue full-auto and let the camcorder decide what settings to apply for the shooting environment?

3) Can the Z-190 record and/or output (via SDI) all four audio channels at the same time? I have the dual channel MI shoe adapter plus the
    Sony URXP03D 2-Channel Portable Receiver, two Sony UTX-B03 Integrated Digital Wireless Bodypack Transmitters, a Sony UTX-P03 Hybrid Digital Wireless Plug-on Transmitter connected to a Sennheiser MD 46 handheld interview mic, and a Rode NTG-4 shotgun mic. Can the Z190 record all four of channels of those mics simultaneously or only two channels at a time? If it can record all four channels is there any way to output all four channels simultaneously via SDI (or HDMI)?

Thanks again for being such a wealth of knowledge on these camcorders. You are a Godsend.

7. Collapse Details
    Hi Vincent, I touch on all of these subjects in my Z280/Z190 master class but I'm happy to spend some time answering your questions as best I can here.

1) I honestly cannot tell someone else which camera is best for them. Only you can determine that for yourself. In chapter one of my master class, which anyone can watch without signing up for the rest of the series (https://vimeo.com/297946781) I tried to point out every difference between the two cameras so that people will have the information they need to make that decision. Does the Z190's features and performance meet your needs? Then you have made the right choice and the Z280 may have been overkill for YOU. But if you need the better features and performance of the Z280, then you have made the wrong choice. I think the biggest difference between the cameras comes down to the low-light performance. The Z280 is excellent and one of the best cameras I've ever used, but the Z190 is awful and is one of the worst cameras I have used for low light. For a lot of people, this one factor may be enough reason to justify the Z280. You say you are doing a lot of shooting indoors, so maybe that ought to be taken into consideration. Even though the Z190 looks pretty good with gain kicked in, it still is poor in low light even with gain added. In fact, even if you max out the Z190's normal gain (18dB) it still does not match the Z280 at 0db. That is a serious difference.

2) I am against the use of Full Auto at anytime for any reason. Full Auto should never be used. Period. In fact, the cameras is actually worse in low light in Full Auto than it is in manual. So, as a non-professional, even if you want to run some of the camera's functions in automatic, you should select those functions individually (shutter, iris, gain, ND, white balance) and then use the camera's menus to customize how each of those functions perform.

3) Both the Z190 and Z280 can record four audio channels at the same time. I think (but have not tested myself) all four channels can be output via SDI. But only one pair at a time can be output via HDMI, you either have to choose 1/2 or 3/4. You cannot have all four and you cannot change the mix. There also many limitation of which audio inputs can be used simultaneously and which inputs can be routed to which channels. Too complicated to try to explain here.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 11-27-2018 at 06:40 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    Hi Vincent, I touch on all of these subjects in my Z280/Z190 master class but I'm happy to spend some time answering your questions as best I can here.

1) I honestly cannot tell someone else which camera is best for them. Only you can determine that for yourself. In chapter one of my master class, which anyone can watch without signing up for the rest of the series (https://vimeo.com/297946781) I tried to point out every difference between the two cameras so that people will have the information they need to make that decision. Does the Z190's features and performance meet your needs? Then you have made the right choice and the Z280 may have been overkill for YOU. But if you need the better features and performance of the Z280, then you have made the wrong choice. I think the biggest difference between the cameras comes down to the low-light performance. The Z280 is excellent and one of the best cameras I've ever used, but the Z190 is awful and is one of the worst cameras I have used for low light. For a lot of people, this one factor may be enough reason to justify the Z280. You say you are doing a lot of shooting indoors, so maybe that ought to be taken into consideration. Even though the Z190 looks pretty good with gain kicked in, it still is poor in low light even with gain added. In fact, even if you max out the Z190's normal gain (18dB) it still does not match the Z280 at 0db. That is a serious difference.

2) I am against the use of Full Auto at anytime for any reason. Full Auto should never be used. Period. In fact, the cameras is actually worse in low light in Full Auto than it is in manual. So, as a non-professional, even if you want to run some of the camera's functions in automatic, you should select those functions individually (shutter, iris, gain, ND, white balance) and then use the camera's menus to customize how each of those functions perform.

3) Both the Z190 and Z280 can record four audio channels at the same time. I think (but have not tested myself) all four channels can be output via SDI. But only one pair at a time can be output via HDMI, you either have to choose 1/2 or 3/4. You cannot have all four and you cannot change the mix. There also many limitation of which audio inputs can be used simultaneously and which inputs can be routed to which channels. Too complicated to try to explain here.

I hope that helps.
    Doug,

Thanks so much. I plan on purchasing your master class shortly because I really need to figure out the ins and out of these camcorders! Does your class tell us anything about the 4 channel audio? I understand that it will only output 2 channels at a time but if you view the actual file itself, you should be able to HEAR all four channels at once right?

9. Collapse Details
    Sure. The audio capabilities of both cameras are very robust with lots of options and possible configurations. There's an entire chapter of my master class devoted to audio. I cna't guarantee it will answer every conceivable question you may have, but it covers most.

10. Collapse Details
    Tbanks... Gonna watch the Master Class and if I have any more questions, I guess I'll ask on this forum. Someone should have the answer. I'm sure your class will most likely cover it though.

I'm going to use the Z-190 a few more times and I'll know by then whether or not its good for what I'm doing. Even though I'm filming indoors, it is usually in well lit areas but if for any reason the camcorder isn't up to the task, I can always trade it in at Adorama and upgrade to the Z280 next year. There's also a new Canon 705 (I think) coming out but I like the Z190/280 form and layout (minus lack of touchscreen).

The reason I went with the Z190 is because I'm not a super-pro and didn't think I would take advantage of the Z280's features but after seeing your low light comparisons, I feel sick. LOL

At least I have a good on camera LED light and good lighting for interviews.

So you really think the full-auto mode is garbage huh? Looks like its time for me to really learn this camera so I can get the best video possible. So I've decided to get your Master Class vid.
    Last edited by Vincent Del Vecchio; 11-28-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast