Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Del Vecchio View Post
    When in doubt, always get the better low light performing camcorder. :P
    I would expand on that by saying always buy the better camera whenever there are two similar models. As I point out in chapter one of my video series, Sony loves to release cameras in pairs - one with all the features and another stripped down a little and priced lower. I would wager than more than half the people who buy the "B" model of any pair of cameras come to regret it later. It is always better to buy the better camera.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Del Vecchio View Post
    I'm not Doug but I use the SDI out on my Z190 a lot; especially use it ALL the time outputting to my LiveU solo for livestreaming on YouTube for events like convention coverage and panels and off-camera recording of video, as well as a crap-ton of video game footage from events like E3 Expo and game conventions and I haven't seen any *noticeable* delay. That's not to say any delay doesn't exist but for my usage case, I think it works VERY well and I don't notice any sort of delay.

Also, it has been confirmed that Sony and Lexar XQD card with the adapter records all formats of 1080p and 4K video that the Z280 offers. Tests and videos on YouTube has proven that XQD cards work pretty much flawlessly on the Z280 with all its recoding formats. They may not be AS reliable as SxS cards but they certainly are VERY reliable and much more so than standard SDXC cards. Also, the Z280 will not allow 4K recording of any kind of SDXC cards for some weird reason, even though technically the cards nowadays ARE definitely fast enough to handle 4K easily.
    Vincent,

Great info, Thank you!
    We run through a switcher first as we usually do multicamera events and any delay is very obvious if the live cam is up on a big screen. There will ALWAYS be some delay due to camera processing, switcher processing, projector processing, etc - but we just want to minimize things.

Good news on the cards too. We always run redundant systems to ensure we have the recordings we are contracted to provide, so we will probably end up investing in some SXS cards along with some XQD, just to be sure. Better safe than fired.

Andrew

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    I would expand on that by saying always buy the better camera whenever there are two similar models. As I point out in chapter one of my video series, Sony loves to release cameras in pairs - one with all the features and another stripped down a little and priced lower. I would wager than more than half the people who buy the "B" model of any pair of cameras come to regret it later. It is always better to buy the better camera.
    Excellent advice Doug.
    Even if it means saving for an extra year to afford it, we always try to get the best version of whatever we need. We find it is cheaper in the long run, therefore a much better investment.

4. Collapse Details
    I don't think there is any delay at all, or at least it is so short it could only be measured in milliseconds.

As for how long it takes to off-load an SxS card -- that is hard to say. I've never timed it or even paid attention to how long it takes but any figure I gave you might not apply to you anyway. It depends a lot on your computer, type of connection to the reader, speed and type of connection to the external HDD/SSD, whether or not error checking is turned on, and other factors that are going to be different for each person.
    Of course you are correct, the numbers would be pretty meaningless.

On a different topic, but related to your 190/280 video training, what is the dual camera rail rig you are using? We are looking to assemble the same type of mount, but all I can find are tube systems that might not hold a 280 size camera securely since they rotate easily.

Andrew

5. Collapse Details
    The side-by-side camera rig is just something I cobbled together from spare hardware I already had laying around. However, the main base part that holds the rods came from Hotrod Cameras and was originally sold as an accessory for the Sony FS100 camera. When I did a Google search for it an old post of my own from 2011 came up: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...ter-fs100.html
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

6. Collapse Details
    The side-by-side camera rig is just something I cobbled together from spare hardware I already had laying around. However, the main base part that holds the rods came from Hotrod Cameras and was originally sold as an accessory for the Sony FS100 camera. When I did a Google search for it an old post of my own from 2011 came up: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...ter-fs100.html
    Awesome! Thanks Doug!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345