Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks Tom. Your stamp of approval means a lot to me.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

2. Collapse Details
    I'm so glad you released these videos, Doug (but sorry to hear about your foot!) as I bit the bullet and purchased two Z190s to upgrade my aging Panasonic AGAC160s. While I haven't had a chance to watch all seven hours, I've done some jumping around and you've already answered enough questions to make the expenditure well worth it. As I primarily film long form theatrical events, many of which are 'one shot only' and most range near the 2 1/2 hour mark, while the Z280 would have been more idea for lower light capabilities, the amount I can fit on one of those horrifically expensive memory cards...meant I'd have to use external recorders (and justifying costs...was not working). So far I'm happy-ish as I'm still working on finding the optimal setting (and can't wait to play with your advised paint settings as I think they will help immensely).

If you know of any scene files or have recommendation for settings, HG# video suggestions (I have been using the HG4)...even LUTS (if such things work when one isn't in S-Log or HDR territory on these cameras), I'd love to hear/see them. As I'm dealing with lighting that goes from supernova to 'lit by a candle'...it's always a challenge (and I'm noticing more noise in wide shots than I like and trying to decide if it's worse than my Panasonics...which it shouldn't be...or if I just haven't found the right setting yet)

Thanks for all your hard work in creating a manual that far surpasses that piece of Swiss Cheese Sony published

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Hi Treehorn, thank you for the nice words about the Z280/Z190 videos and it is always great to hear when they have been a help to other people. I know you're jumping around through the series, which is just fine, but you should watch chapters 16 & 17 as soon as possible if you want a good scene for for the Z190. But I only have one recommended scene file for that camera. I was able to build three scene files for the Z280, but only one for the Z190 due to differences between the cameras. But it's a good one and I think it looks quite nice.

4. Collapse Details
    I plan on delving today (after editing away...finding 7 free hours when it’s not on the subway is the challenge . I’m used to the B-str setting/scene on the Panasonic, which worked great for giving a bit extra highs and lows for stage lighting. I’m thinking the HG4 gamma/video setting is the most comparable...am I in the ballpark?

5. Collapse Details
    Yes, HG4 is the gamma to use along with a few other modifications.

6. Collapse Details
    Is anybody else having issues with memory cards? I purchased sandisc 128gb extreme Pro cards with the cameras and had no problems. Then b and H had a sale so I figured I would purchase 6. Of them only two were recognized by cameras (other 4 wouldn’t be recognized by either camera either slot). Returned and was told a lot of people were having issues. Figured it was a bad batch. Bought four more from Adorama as that’s where I purchased the working ones. One of them worked. In looking online it seems to be a problem lately with Sony cameras in general.
    Jonathan Frank is online now Report Post

7. Collapse Details
    For my taste z190 uhd quality is even at 0db very noisy .

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Rooma View Post
    For my taste z190 uhd quality is even at 0db very noisy .
    I don't share that opinion. I find the camera surprisingly clean even at 12dB.

BTW, here are some split screen comparisons I did with the Z280 and Z190 a couple of months ago. Please ignore the shakiness on the Z190 as I didn't have a firm mount for both cameras the day I decided to do these shots. Later I mounted them side-by-side and it was rock-solid for other testing.

9. Collapse Details
    Hi Doug. Watched the intro clip and it was much appreciated. I can see a lot of work went into these videos. I find it a bit odd that a camera like this (Z280) which seems to have an incredible feature set is really flying below the radar. A large sensor really isn't the answer to every question. We are retiring our old EX3s, we had your video series for those and acquiring two Z280s to replace them. We will be getting your new video series as well.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your support. It is very much appreciated.

I agree with you that it is odd the Z280 has not gotten more buzz. I think it is the best camera to come along since the FS7. In fact, an FS7/Z280 combo would be a killer couple of cameras. Since I completed my Z280 video series I've been using it much more often in day-to-day shooting than I ever expected. I've now started taking the Z280 on everyshoot with my F55 and it is surprising how often I'm using it. It constantly amazes me at the picture quality and versatility. It is great to have a true ENG type camera again with a 17x f/1.9 lens . . . and still be able to do 10-bit 4:2:2 4K @ 60 fps. What's not to like?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast