Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sony PXW-Z280 and PXZ-Z190 review
    In case anyone here is interested, I've just posted a 70 minute review of the Sony PXW-Z280 and Z190 camcorders. It is actually the first chapter (out of 26 chapters) from my 7-hour master class instructional video for the two cameras.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Doug,
    Thanks for posting the intro to these cameras.

QStacks: Does the Z280 hold the low f1.8 fstop throughout the zoom range or ramp up as you go through to max telephoto?

Also, have you successfully used a wide angle adapter on the z280? Seems that is one of its short comings for use in confined spaces.

3. Collapse Details
    Although the display in the Z280's viewfinder says that the exposure holds constant at f/1.9 throughout the entire zoom range, my measurements show that it actually dips to f/2.8 by the time you hit max zoom.
    No, I have not used a wide-angle adapter nor have I even investigated whether one exists or not. 18mm (S35 equivalent) is generally plenty wide enough for me.

4. Collapse Details
    The Sony website suggests a far less wide FOV

About S35 20
    https://pro.sony/en_AR/products/hand...block-pxw-z280

5. Collapse Details
    Well they are wrong. The Z280 is 5.6mm at the wide angle. And with 1/2" sensors that equates to just a bit more than 18mm in terms of S35. Notice Sony just says "35mm equivalent" without mentioning any additional information. A lot of their specifications are missing key criteria like that. For instance, in the manual they attempt to provide the estimated capacity of a memory card in minutes, but don't say what the frame rate is. If I tell you that a certain memory card will hold 50 minutes of footage, don't you think you'd like to know if that is for 60P, 50P, 30P, 24P, or whatever? The lens equivalency is nearly as useless without identifying the sensor or film size.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 10-31-2018 at 07:58 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    When I have good connectivity I look forward to watching your video properly

Sony are fools if they are wrong as a tranch of people are walking away from this camera on that spec alone as we know that we would use such a camera in confined spaces like cars or crowded exhibition halls - the exact places where a build cine camera is no good

7. Collapse Details
    I injured my ankle over the weekend and am on crutches so not very mobile at the moment, but one of these days soon I will get out my F55 with the Zeiss 15.5-45mm and see how it matches against the field of view of the Z280. I ought to be able to get the exact equivalent focal length off the Zeiss -- and then we will know for sure how they compare.

8. Collapse Details
    I hope u are ok soon.

that test would be really interesting.

9. Collapse Details
    Oh dear! Sorry to hear that. A test that determines the exact field of view in the wide angle mode would be very useful; I know that with the EX1r, I own and often use a wide angle adapter in confined spaces. The EX1r is 5.8mm at the wide end. Not that much different than the z280.
    Last edited by jc01108; 11-01-2018 at 04:09 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    In case anyone here is interested, I've just posted a 70 minute review of the Sony PXW-Z280 and Z190 camcorders. It is actually the first chapter (out of 26 chapters) from my 7-hour master class instructional video for the two cameras.

This is a great review!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast