Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    If you really look at the resolution charts though it seems the 280 although less contrasty maintains the thinner lines better than the 705. I wonder how much of this is a detail or other setting? 705 looked pretty impressive in low light.

2. Collapse Details
    What paint menu settings have been selected on the Sony cameras? It is completely pointless to do a camera shootout with cameras that just came out of box and have not been setup properly. News Flash: NO SONY PROFESSIONAL CAMCORDER LOOKS GOOD OUT OF THE BOX. It is like adding an equalizer to your stereo system and then judging the sound with all the sliders in the middle. The gamma, black levels, matrix, NR, and several other settings must be customized to produce a pleasing picture. That's the way Sony pro camcorders are designed to work.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 01-31-2019 at 01:05 PM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Speaking of Paint Menu Settings... Just wanted to let you know something I just noticed. Just bought my third Z280, and in getting it synced up to the settings you recommended (which is what I have set in the other two cameras), I noticed something odd. On both of the old cameras, the Master Black setting, which had been set to your recommendations for both Scene Files, was not correct. And in changing them noticed that the settings no longer work the way you mention on your video - namely that you no longer have to click through multiple times to get it to change from -1 to -2 (for example). Well you do, but it now tells you -1.1, -1.2, -1.3 etc. I'm guessing that the firmware 2.0 upgrade changed how Master Black levels get set (it now shows you the increments, instead of making you remember how many times you clicked up or down). So far that's the only setting that I noticed was changed, but I'd advise anybody who had created Scene Files, to double check the settings if they upgrade to Firmware 2.0

4. Collapse Details
    Good catch. I updated my Z280 a couple of weeks ago but didn't notice this excellent change. I've been telling Sony for years, long before the Z280 came out, that it was dumb to have incremental divisions in the Master Black setting that were not represented by the number actually changing in the menu setting. This is a nice step in the right direction.

My camera now says "-4.5" instead of the "-5". I don't have time to put the camera on my scopes and check, but I'm sure this is the exact same black level and I don't need to make any adjustments. In my master class I say ". . . you’ll want to stop clicking the moment you see "-5" appear." And I believe that threshold is now right at "-4.5", which makes complete sense if Sony was previously rounding the numbers up when you rotated the dial. Either way, the visual difference between "-4.5" and "-5" is so slight that it would take a waveform monitor to really see any change so either setting is fine. Thanks for bringing to everyone's attention and we'll probably see the same change come to other cameras as well.

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah it was at -4.5 for one. (Oddly was -2.5 on the other) and I made them all -5 (but probably will change to -4.5 based on your findings/observations). Glad they are listening and improving at least!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456