Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    So I stopped using FULL AUTO and now just use auto IRIS. WJay is your opinion on the AUTO IRIS quality and should I use it or use manual IRIS?
    Also, I believe in CHAPTER ONE, you said to keep the Auto Shutter to ON, never turn it off right? It was weird that the shutter switch came in the OFF position from the factory...

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Del Vecchio View Post
    So I stopped using FULL AUTO and now just use auto IRIS. WJay is your opinion on the AUTO IRIS quality and should I use it or use manual IRIS?
    Also, I believe in CHAPTER ONE, you said to keep the Auto Shutter to ON, never turn it off right? It was weird that the shutter switch came in the OFF position from the factory...
    You misunderstood what I said in chapter one because there isn't a switch for Auto Shutter. The switch on the side of the camera that you are referring to is the Shutter Switch, and it should always be turned on. But that is NOT auto shutter. Auto Shutter is a menu setting and should never be turned on under any circumstances ever.

If you have to ask my opinion on Auto Iris it sounds like haven't watched the rest of the series, right? But if you have watched the series, then I would highly advise you to watch chapters 12 & 13 again. It is a lot of information to absorb, especially for a non-professional, and a second watching would be a good idea. And if you haven't watched anything beyond chapter one, then I can tell you there are a lot of things you don't know yet about your camera besides the in and outs of auto iris.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

3. Collapse Details
    Ahhh, yeah I did misunderstand you. Yeah, that switch came in the off position from the factory. so I thought that was a little weird. I have not gotten a chance to watch yet. I'm a dialysis patient to time is hard to come by sometimes. Will I be able to make sense on everything you talk about in all the chapters even though I'm a newbie amateur?

4. Collapse Details
    I think so, but you might have to Google a term here or there for a little more information. And you'll probably have to watch some sections more than once to absorb it all.

5. Collapse Details
    SDI/HDMI output delay?
    Doug,

I am working my way through your series on the 190/280 - great stuff! Thanks for putting in the extraordinary effort to create such a complete 'manual'.

One quick question for you or anyone else who has tested this - how much delay is there in the SDI outputs of these cameras? We do lots of live broadcast events, many times with IMAG and just want to ensure the delay is negligible. (Can you tell I owned an FS700?)

Also, any idea about how long it takes (with a fast external drive) to offload a full 128GB SXS card? I am trying to determine how many cards we would need for the 280 - although for longer events we might just use an external recorder since the cost of a 256GB SXS card is about the cost of a Shogun+1GB drive and we already have access to a couple of those.

Thanks!

Andrew

6. Collapse Details
    So I swapped out the z190s with z280s, something I wish I had done from the start. Very happy with the massive bump in light sensitivity for shooting stage/theater/lectures, etc. Have one odd-ish question in regards to focus though. We’ve noticed that when zooming in or out somewhat rapidly, the focus will shift (say from 67 feet to 58 or 75). Sometimes it will return to the original number when the zoom is returned to the starting position. Sometimes....not. Doesn’t happen on slow zooms, but if we do a quick zoom in or out to get something...focus goes wonky, in the number at least. Does this in full MF and semi auto MF. I’ve done the focus sensor/lens calibration. Not sure if it’s anything to be concerned about, or if the number on the display isn’t...a great indicator of what is really happening (which was the case with auto focus fluctuations)
    Last edited by treehorn; 12-07-2018 at 09:31 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog Records View Post
    Doug,

I am working my way through your series on the 190/280 - great stuff! Thanks for putting in the extraordinary effort to create such a complete 'manual'.

One quick question for you or anyone else who has tested this - how much delay is there in the SDI outputs of these cameras? We do lots of live broadcast events, many times with IMAG and just want to ensure the delay is negligible. (Can you tell I owned an FS700?)

Also, any idea about how long it takes (with a fast external drive) to offload a full 128GB SXS card? I am trying to determine how many cards we would need for the 280 - although for longer events we might just use an external recorder since the cost of a 256GB SXS card is about the cost of a Shogun+1GB drive and we already have access to a couple of those.

Thanks!

Andrew
    I'm not Doug but I use the SDI out on my Z190 a lot; especially use it ALL the time outputting to my LiveU solo for livestreaming on YouTube for events like convention coverage and panels and off-camera recording of video, as well as a crap-ton of video game footage from events like E3 Expo and game conventions and I haven't seen any *noticeable* delay. That's not to say any delay doesn't exist but for my usage case, I think it works VERY well and I don't notice any sort of delay.

Also, it has been confirmed that Sony and Lexar XQD card with the adapter records all formats of 1080p and 4K video that the Z280 offers. Tests and videos on YouTube has proven that XQD cards work pretty much flawlessly on the Z280 with all its recoding formats. They may not be AS reliable as SxS cards but they certainly are VERY reliable and much more so than standard SDXC cards. Also, the Z280 will not allow 4K recording of any kind of SDXC cards for some weird reason, even though technically the cards nowadays ARE definitely fast enough to handle 4K easily.
    Last edited by Vincent Del Vecchio; 12-08-2018 at 12:14 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by treehorn View Post
    So I swapped out the z190s with z280s, something I wish I had done from the start. Very happy with the massive bump in light sensitivity for shooting stage/theater/lectures, etc. Have one odd-ish question in regards to focus though. We’ve noticed that when zooming in or out somewhat rapidly, the focus will shift (say from 67 feet to 58 or 75). Sometimes it will return to the original number when the zoom is returned to the starting position. Sometimes....not. Doesn’t happen on slow zooms, but if we do a quick zoom in or out to get something...focus goes wonky, in the number at least. Does this in full MF and semi auto MF. I’ve done the focus sensor/lens calibration. Not sure if it’s anything to be concerned about, or if the number on the display isn’t...a great indicator of what is really happening (which was the case with auto focus fluctuations)
    I am now also thinking of swapping my Z190 for a Z280; especially after seeing Doug's low light comparison between the two cameras. I should have just sprung for the Z280 in the first place but oh well, chalk it up to a learning experience. When in doubt, always get the better low light performing camcorder. :P

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog Records View Post
    How much delay is there in the SDI outputs of these cameras?
    I don't think there is any delay at all, or at least it is so short it could only be measured in milliseconds.

As for how long it takes to off-load an SxS card -- that is hard to say. I've never timed it or even paid attention to how long it takes but any figure I gave you might not apply to you anyway. It depends a lot on your computer, type of connection to the reader, speed and type of connection to the external HDD/SSD, whether or not error checking is turned on, and other factors that are going to be different for each person.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by treehorn View Post
    I can't really address your concerns about those numbers because I never have the focus information turned on so I have no idea what it might be showing if it was on. It is meaningless information to me and just clutters up the VF (even if the numbers were accurate, which I know they are not). So that is one of the first things I turn off. I suspect that what you are seeing is just erroneous numbers and the actual focus is just fine. I wouldn't worry about it unless you actually see the focus itself having issues.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast