Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks Tom. Your stamp of approval means a lot to me.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

2. Collapse Details
    I'm so glad you released these videos, Doug (but sorry to hear about your foot!) as I bit the bullet and purchased two Z190s to upgrade my aging Panasonic AGAC160s. While I haven't had a chance to watch all seven hours, I've done some jumping around and you've already answered enough questions to make the expenditure well worth it. As I primarily film long form theatrical events, many of which are 'one shot only' and most range near the 2 1/2 hour mark, while the Z280 would have been more idea for lower light capabilities, the amount I can fit on one of those horrifically expensive memory cards...meant I'd have to use external recorders (and justifying costs...was not working). So far I'm happy-ish as I'm still working on finding the optimal setting (and can't wait to play with your advised paint settings as I think they will help immensely).

If you know of any scene files or have recommendation for settings, HG# video suggestions (I have been using the HG4)...even LUTS (if such things work when one isn't in S-Log or HDR territory on these cameras), I'd love to hear/see them. As I'm dealing with lighting that goes from supernova to 'lit by a candle'...it's always a challenge (and I'm noticing more noise in wide shots than I like and trying to decide if it's worse than my Panasonics...which it shouldn't be...or if I just haven't found the right setting yet)

Thanks for all your hard work in creating a manual that far surpasses that piece of Swiss Cheese Sony published

3. Collapse Details
    Hi Treehorn, thank you for the nice words about the Z280/Z190 videos and it is always great to hear when they have been a help to other people. I know you're jumping around through the series, which is just fine, but you should watch chapters 16 & 17 as soon as possible if you want a good scene for for the Z190. But I only have one recommended scene file for that camera. I was able to build three scene files for the Z280, but only one for the Z190 due to differences between the cameras. But it's a good one and I think it looks quite nice.

4. Collapse Details
    I plan on delving today (after editing away...finding 7 free hours when it’s not on the subway is the challenge . I’m used to the B-str setting/scene on the Panasonic, which worked great for giving a bit extra highs and lows for stage lighting. I’m thinking the HG4 gamma/video setting is the most comparable...am I in the ballpark?

5. Collapse Details
    Yes, HG4 is the gamma to use along with a few other modifications.

6. Collapse Details
    Is anybody else having issues with memory cards? I purchased sandisc 128gb extreme Pro cards with the cameras and had no problems. Then b and H had a sale so I figured I would purchase 6. Of them only two were recognized by cameras (other 4 wouldn’t be recognized by either camera either slot). Returned and was told a lot of people were having issues. Figured it was a bad batch. Bought four more from Adorama as that’s where I purchased the working ones. One of them worked. In looking online it seems to be a problem lately with Sony cameras in general.
    Jonathan Frank is online now Report Post

7. Collapse Details
    For my taste z190 uhd quality is even at 0db very noisy .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12