Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    JVC has teetered on the brink of Whoville for well over a decade. In a way it's impressive.

In 1990, I bought my first camcorder, the JVC GR-S707, the only camera that recorded S-VHS onto VHS-C, plus Hi-Fi stereo sound. It lasted several years, I have no complaints.

gr-s707.jpg

In 2002, JVC introduced the GY-DV300U, the only camera that had a handheld body but shouldercam electronics, sporting 700 lines of horizontal resolution. It could also stream video live on the Web. JVC called it the Streamcorder. When I brought it up on the forum (at dv.com, not dvxuser.com) others scoffed that it would be poorly made because it was JVC. I rented one, and sure enough the otherwise gorgeous image was marred by a hot pixel or two. When I plugged in an XLR cable, it rubbed against the the zoom ring, making it hard to turn.

gy-dv300u.jpg

In 2009, JVC introduced the GY-HM100, the only camera that recorded native Apple files --- not ProRes but still QuickTime. But it had teeny 1/4" sensors.

hm100_palm.jpg

In 2014, JVC introduced the GY-LS300, the only camera with an S35 sensor inside a 4/3 mount. But it had middling picture quality.

gy-ls300.jpg
    Last edited by combatentropy; 10-31-2018 at 12:58 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Yes, JVC has some things to prove before I would purchase over a Panasonic camera. The specs are getting up there to where a little wiggle room might be acceptable. Panasonic is not very good at streaming/wifi with their previous broadcast/camcorder cameras. I called about these "features" and the techs did not know how they worked. Brochure only was the impression I got. So if you need live streaming or heavy wifi usage, these cameras seem like a great choice.

The last round of JVC cameras (600 series) seemed to get decent reviews. In the end, it comes down to image quality and durability. Starting there, if they pass those tests then we can look at the features that may or may not be implemented well. The SSD approach is great as long as it is dependable. Streaming at high quality is great as long as the connection is dependable. Basically it needs to pro and not prosumer which means stuff has to work, not sort of. The $3600 price tag sounds good but that makes me think prosumer. We will see.

3. Collapse Details
    Where is Panny's version of this? Really want that "Pro" 4k Camcorder. UX-180 is pretty lacking.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

www.jarek.com
    Red Weapon 8K

4. Collapse Details
    Yes, it would be good to see an updated UX180. Either have a 1" chip with more pixels or release a 3 chip version like the Sony's. Either method would increase the real resolution. True that it would also be nice if it gets the same kind of live streaming capabilities.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the video as it shed more light on the capabilities. Great to see the tech (if it all works!) I would rather see a PX version camera from Panasonic than an upgraded UX series camera. It is almost 5 years from the PX270 so a 4k version would not be out of character for a NAB release from Panasonic.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    It is almost 5 years from the PX270 so a 4k version would not be out of character for a NAB release from Panasonic.
    This camera is long overdue. Like years.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

www.jarek.com
    Red Weapon 8K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12