Thread: Canon EOS R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Canon EOS R
    I picked this camera up and have been doing a couple of tests.

I found something fairly surprising that I had not been necessarily expecting. It appears that the crop frame 1080p recording is much sharper than the FHD 1080p. The crop frame seems to use the same sensor read out as the 4K and does a debayering similar to the cinema cameras. This is just a guess due to the fact that the resolution of the EOS R in crop frame mode looks very similar to my cinema camera, whereas the FHD looks like the standard canon mush. One significant downside is that the EOS R can't shoot in 60fps in 1080p in the crop frame mode.

2. Collapse Details
    That's awesome! But now i'm pissed you can't do 60p in crop..canon always has these caveats

Hear a rumor there will be a higher end R version coming out early 2019, waiting to see about that as a B cam to my c200..

3. Collapse Details
    They also added their cool manual focus feature (3 triangle alignment) from the cinema cameras, but still have such a long way to go.

And some things are just impossible for me to accept...disabling the 60p (if the cropped quality is really better) is just disgusting.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    They also added their cool manual focus feature (3 triangle alignment) from the cinema cameras, but still have such a long way to go.

And some things are just impossible for me to accept...disabling the 60p (if the cropped quality is really better) is just disgusting.
    I would guess that the 60p is disabled in the cropped mode for the same reason that it is disabled in the 4K mode.

One annoyance about the manual focus features is that they only work when the focus switch on the lens is turned to manual focus. You can't use a combination of manual focus and autofocus. The focus triangles also don't work on manual focus lenses that don't transmit aperture information. Of course, that was true of the cinema cameras as well.

5. Collapse Details
    The camera doesn't shoot 4K/60p so that's okay as almost all still cameras with big sensors don't, but HD...come on.

6. Collapse Details
    The camera doesn't shoot 4K/60p so that's okay as almost all still cameras with big sensors don't, but HD...come on.
    What I meant is that the camera probably can't record the higher quality 1080p at 60p for the same reason it can't read the sensor at 4K at 60p. Whether it is intentionally crippled or not. The 1DC couldn't record its higher quality s35 1080p mode in 60p, either. You still have a 60p mode on the EOS R, it just looks like the 5D IV. The 120p is trash.

My thinking is that the EOS R is a decent 4K and 1080p crop frame camera for use with ef-s lenses if you don't need HFR. It is also a decent photo camera with full frame EF lenses. I already have a bunch of crop frame lenses for my C300 II, so I don't have a problem switching between crop and full frame depending on whether I am shooting photos or video. I just won't be using the camera much for 60p.

I was actually hoping to replace my XC15 with the EOS R for use my Zhiyun Crane gimbal. The XC15 also doesn't shoot decent 60p, but it is lighter and balances better on the gimbal. The EOS R could probably work with the 10-18mm stm lens, but it really isn't that small of a camera. And I can't shoot 60p at all without going to a heavier full frame lens.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Is utterly crazy that the Canon EOS R with an EF-S lens won't shoot 1080 60fps!!
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

8. Collapse Details
    I should also add that the crop frame 1080p has a significant amount of rolling shutter. The same as the 4K. With the amount of rolling shutter, 60p would be nauseating.

9. Collapse Details
    Rolling shutter practically doesn't exist in 60p...24p/30p is always the worst.

Are you seeing it in the full-frame 60p?

10. Collapse Details
    The full frame 60p isn't too bad for rolling shutter.

I've also discovered that the EOS R does a really good job of matching the C300 II Clog in Rec 709 and Neutral Matrix if I set the EOS R to C log with Neutral color and add about +6 to the magenta. It actually matches better than I have ever managed to get the other cinema cameras to match.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast