Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Slim down FCP project
    Hello, I am editing a pretty big short film project in FCPX on a Macbook Pro and the library is just getting very slow and takes for ever to load.
    I have many many original clips (as referenced), several versions on projects within the library and I work with proxy files when I edit.
    I don't have that many effects but some color grading and I am also starting to do some noise reduction. I do have several layers of video and many, many layers and roles of audio.
    I do have many files imported into the library that I don't use in my timeline.

What recommendations do you have to slim down a library so that it works smoother?

Thank you

2. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure slimming down a library will actually help with editing performance, but will definitely load the software faster.

The only way to slim down a library would be to 'consolidate' everything you're using into another new library, which I often do. You can also manually delete, which is essentially the same process.

---

You can consolidate an event or project/timeline. I usually do project as it takes ONLY what you're using in your work/product.

I do this if I have a library that has double/triple the amount of assets I am currently using in my timeline/project. When I see that's the case or starting to be, I go ahead and copy the project I am working onto a new library usually on another drive, and then I choose the consolidate option on the new event or project (both will be the same after this fresh transfer since the event will only have whatever is in the timeline/project since no other work would have been done to it yet i.e adding another clip, etc).

The reason I copy it to another drive is because I want to confirm 110% everything has been copied/consolidated so I can delete that other library (thus freeing up the space) with confidence.

Keep in mind...you of course don't want to delete any library that has footage/etc. that was copied there and only there (i.e. it's not on another drive somewhere).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Compounding segments will help (what they used to call nesting). Your main sequence will be a bunch of compounded clips strung together, and then you double click and edit those individual scenes in their own timelines. I have a 90 minute film in FCP X and it's just a nightmare. Talk about taking forever to load. This will be the last time I use FCP X. Only used it because it handles h.264 4k files natively way better then other NLE's. Next time I'll use Resolve and just transcode.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    I have a 90 minute film in FCP X and it's just a nightmare. Talk about taking forever to load. This will be the last time I use FCP X.
    May I ask what computer you are on?

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks NorBro for that input, very helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    May I ask what computer you are on?
    3.09ghz i5 with 16GB RAM and Nvidia 1060 6GB. FCP X just isn't well optimized for long projects with a lot of clips in them.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

7. Collapse Details
    I usually have around 300 ProRes clips with a few stills, and everything is always perfectly smoothly (but that may be a small number).

I also edit on super fast SSDs if it makes a difference. [No spinning discs should ever be used.]

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I usually have around 300 ProRes clips with a few stills, and everything is always perfectly smoothly (but that may be a small number).

I also edit on super fast SSDs if it makes a difference. [No spinning discs should ever be used.]
    My sequence is over a thousand clips. I thought it was related to using h.264 footage, but even after transcoding to proxies its slow as a dog. Any change to the edit at this point and the whole thing grinds to a halt for anywhere between 10 to 30 seconds as it updates. Not using SSD's but, FCP7 or Resolve don't have this problem with long sequences on my system. Another dumb thing I hate about FCP X, it rerenders every time you export a sequence, even if you've already rendered in the program, or aren't converting your footage to a different codec. In FCP7, if I have a PRORES sequence with no effects, or already rendered effects, it just copies that out to a quicktime file instead of rendering again. Saves hours.

9. Collapse Details
    I really think your H.264 footage has something to do with it...sounds painful. I've seen how FCP X behaves with [in general] companies' H.264 offerings and it's brutal. ProRes clips are so easy.

300 clips is a big difference vs. 1000 - and maybe even one plugin or effect could be slowing your system down (impossible to know by me) - but my clips are filled with LUTs - tweaks - filters/effects, and it's all perfect with proxies. I never render either (stopped after FCP7) as there is no point since it all plays smoothly; just export a file if necessary to really pixel-peep anything.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I never render either (stopped after FCP7) as there is no point since it all plays smoothly; just export a file if necessary to really pixel-peep anything.
    But it will still render on output. I still do all my trailer editing in FCP7, where I rarely use filters as it's already color corrected footage. The only thing that needs rendering are the transitions. When I go to output, it spits out a file in seconds as it only needs to transcode the transitions. And don't get me started on the media management on FCPX. No, I'm not a fan of the program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast