1. Collapse Details
    Void - Short Film Shot on C200
    Would love some feedback, Submitted and played at 2 festivals. Ready for the internet to tear the film apart, haha.

Please be frank and honest so I can learn from mistakes ect.

Last edited by peter917; 10-19-2018 at 07:05 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Impressive!

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you very much! A lot of work went into this, Can not wait to take what I learned and apply it to the next project.

4. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Not the strongest concept, but generally well done. The one glaring technical weakness is the sound on dialogue - everytime the bearded guy speaks, the sound is just atrocious; it sounds like it's coming from a camera mic that's 5 feet away - I know you had sound, because you list a boom operator, but really it's like a camera mic - just awful, and it's awful not just by the quality of sound but it even makes it hard to understand. Get a better sound person and better sound post. As you know, poor sound in dialogue is a mortal sin, no matter your budget - immediatly the viewer gets the subconscious impression "amateur hour".

What I definitely like, is that you actually have ideas - and good ones at that. The door in the forest is a good one well done. The best part of the short for me, and outstanding is from 2:23 the shot of the foot - LOVE IT!!! Very, very good!

How to improve - (1) work on stronger concepts (2) fix the freakin' sound. Otherwise, pretty good effort overall. All IMHO.

5. Collapse Details
    Thank you for all the input. Funny thing about the sound even our post guy said he was having issues with the dialogue.

Our boom operator is very new and kinda just helping because he wants to learn and help with production but has a career already and does not want to pursue it in that way. He bought a ntg 3 and zoom h6 for this film and future films but I def think he needs to learn boom technique.

I need to also lav up people when possible as back up, boom direction may have been off too.

Again, I appreciate the comments and critique. Can not wait to do the next film!

6. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Well there's your problem right there. The ntg3 is a shotgun, and your dialogue is mostly interiors - a shotgun is not ideal for interiors, it can be used, but requires special handling and sound-treating the room, so not something an inexperienced sound person should attempt. It would've been safer to use a hypercardioid, and if you don't have much experience with booming, then go ahead and lav the actors. Notice how much echo and room reflection there's in your dialogue - the wrong mic is used and/or the mic is not close enough to the actor. Anyway, I'm dead serious when I say, if you have a choice between a pro DP and pro sound person and you have money for only one, pick the sound pro every time - audiences will forgive suboptimal lighting, but not suboptimal sound.

Anyhow, it's good to make your mistakes on shorts, where you don't spend as much money and time, so good on you for gathering experience - in this case, let it be a lesson to you on the importance of sound... never, ever, ever underestimate it's importance. If there's one thing you need to get right technically it's dialogue sound recording and post. Best of luck!