Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    A side thought.

NR is just blurring and saturation control?
    Neat Video, Dark Energy and similar are much more sophisticated. A good NR reduction process removes random pixels and preserves information, especially real detail, texture, and edges. Neat Video looks for randomly varying pixels in both space and time (temporal is optional and more expensive to compute) and fills in the noisy pixels with estimations from nearby real pixels. This happens in (at least) four frequency domains, very low, low, medium, and high frequency (very low is on/off, the rest are tunable).

When using the 5D3 and GH4, noise reduction was frequently required. Since using the Sony A7S I & II (now sold) and using the Canon 80D (a bit noisy in low light but not requiring NR so far), 1DX II and C300 II (both really usable in low light), I haven't need to use NR. Another factor of course is always shooting with good light, even when the final edit will be dark: best to shoot well lit and pull down in post vs. shooting in low light due to noise issues.

Neat Video is useful to have in the toolkit 'just in case', since it can convert unusable shots into usable ones.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I use both DaVinci NR and Neat Video paid version, for me personally the two don't compare. Neat Video is really good, so good that I usually have to key it out 50% or overlay noise back on top of the footage so it matches other scenes around it incase I'm only doing NR on one or two shots.

The other times I'll resort to DaVinci NR is for example when the footage doesn't need major surgery, and/or we don't have a lot of extra time for rendering. Neat Video runs a lot slower, also unless you have a lot of video memory you can easily crash DaVinci using Neat Video on 4K or higher footage.

So, I use both, it all depends but I would say Neat Video does a way better job for when it's needed.
    Dennis Hingsberg

3. Collapse Details
    MM

Neat Video allows you to sample the areas where you want to reduce noise. If you sample a noisy dark area the NR is optimized for those levels and frequencies. Every time I use Neat I am surprised at how it maintains sharpness. Neat is far more sophisticated than just blurring. Check these out on how to build a good noise profile. After spending some time experimenting and following various Neat tutorials over the years I have had good success with it. These tutorials relate to the current v4 Neat Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0EY_hDDbqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfK82CPuSRU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlwIqqzkRok

Chris Young

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12