Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Neat video vs Davinci anti-noise filter (or others)
    Hello, I am working in Final Cut Pro and have some scenes with heavy digital noise.
    My colorist is using Davinci and is trying to remove noise using Davinci's own noise filter.
    I think the results are very moderate.
    I am now looking at a trial of Neat Video's filter and it looks better at a first look but I am not still convinced if it's worth the USD 100.
    Has anyone tried both (or any other filter you recommend) and can tell of your experience?

2. Collapse Details
    Neat Video has been an industry-standard for probably over a decade now. It will remove any and all noise but can easily turn the images into plastic as a result. (You have to find a compromise.)

I haven't used Resolve's option, but NV is well worth the price.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your input, NorBro.

4. Collapse Details
    +1 on NorBro's suggestion. Neat Video has been my go to noise reduction on historical doco archive footage for years. It's highly configurable and has many tweaking options you can adjust until you are happy with the results. Worth the $$$s. To get the best out of it you need a reasonably powerful platform as it is a bit of CPU intensive piece of software.

Chris Young

5. Collapse Details
    Leave some of the highest frequency noise to prevent plastic and/or add grain after denoising.

Dark Energy was the best denoiser (no plastic), though it appears their business model moved to the cloud? https://cinnafilm.com/dark-energy-pr...-pixel-healer/

6. Collapse Details
    Ok, thanks for your input folks. I have a follow-up question here. I'd like to use the Neat video denoise filter in Final Cut, should I denoise before I send the clips to color grading, or is it better if I receive them from grading and then denoise, or doesn't it matter? I know the best would have been for my colorist to have the plug-in filter in Davinci, but that filter is much more expensive than the FCP version...

7. Collapse Details
    In Premiere Pro, I'd denoise to see the result, then turn it off until final render (it's super slow, even with a 10(+)-Core CPU + powerful GPU (Neat uses both: be sure to run the optimizer to find the fastest setting)). For best results you want to denoise per clip and fine tune settings. Also, you're best off leaving some noise for grain, and also important to do tests where you export to H.264 and upload to YouTube/Vimeo or wherever your content will be viewed to see the final result (you can also export to ProRes, etc., however the final online content will be H.264 (or similar) and highly compressed).

Having the colorist work with the noisy footage will give you the most flexibility for the final render. However, if the noise is really bad, e.g. with medium and low frequency giant splotches, it could effect the colorist's work, in which case you could denoise and render before given them the footage. Perhaps do a few tests to see which way works best for the project.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks, jcs. I will do tests.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Ok, thanks for your input folks. I have a follow-up question here. I'd like to use the Neat video denoise filter in Final Cut, should I denoise before I send the clips to color grading, or is it better if I receive them from grading and then denoise, or doesn't it matter?
    I asked this question years back of Neat Video and they suggested to do the noise reduction first then ther grade. Following their suggestions I do the noise redux first then turn it off and do the grade and then turn it back on for the render. Neat is a resource hog for sure as JCS indicated.

Chris Young

10. Collapse Details
    A side thought.

NR is just blurring and saturation control?

I dont generally bother with a noise reduction pugin.

If I have noisy in the shadows I could blur and reduce saturation in resolve.

Doing this on a node allows you to qualify the region you hit, which I mainly do by a luma qualification

aka desaturat and blur the shadows and you are golden, you can add mild grain back in later

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast