1. Collapse Details
    HC X1 Shutter speed for 50p
    Greetings fellow esteemed artists!

I have just acquired the PANASONIC HC X1, and very nice it appears to be, too.

Alas, I have never previously shot footage in 50p, (here in PAL land), and am a little puzzled by the shutter speed options for this. I ordinarily shoot 25p at 1/50 shutter, as per the 'traditional 180 degree formula. That being the case, my automatic assumption would be to select a shutter setting of 1/100 for 50p. However, when checking with the auto shutter option, the camera itself suggests that at 50p, the shutter should ALSO be at 1/50th.

I would welcome your comments and thoughts on this. Of course, I understand that a 1/100 shutter setting would require more light etc... but what would be the advantage/disadvantages to either option? For many, 50p UHD 4K has been seen as something of a holy grail but I'm now thinking perhaps it better to stick to 25p. I know that for sports, etc...50p can produce smoother footage and I also understand that 25p is more geared to a 'filmic' look, but MY main objectives is wildlife/nature, with little camera motion. To 50p or not to 50p? That is the QUESTION!

Thanking you in advance.

More power to your LENSES!
    Spud
    Last edited by spudgun; 10-10-2018 at 06:46 PM. Reason: TYPOS!

2. Collapse Details
    The 180 degree rule still holds, but I mostly shoot in 50p and usually use 1/50th too. The main reason for that is I shoot at 50p in case I want smoother slow-mo, but always edit and deliver in 25p.

And the slight extra motion blur when slowed down looks pleasing to me anyway.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
    The 180 degree rule still holds, but I mostly shoot in 50p and usually use 1/50th too. The main reason for that is I shoot at 50p in case I want smoother slow-mo, but always edit and deliver in 25p.

And the slight extra motion blur when slowed down looks pleasing to me anyway.
    Many thanks for the input, Mike.

4. Collapse Details
    Once upon a time, video cameras didn't have shutters, and the exposure time was always equivalent to the field rate. Shooting at 1/50, 50fps would emulate that look.

Today, I'd make the choice based on the subject. Shooting fast action (sports, trains, planes, automobiles), I would probably tend toward the 180 shutter or maybe even narrower. For indoor or "people" shots in narrative or interview situations, I could go either way but would often choose the slower shutter speed to gain a stop of exposure and smooth out the motion a little bit.

It's really up to you and what look you like. Experiment!

- Greg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Smith View Post
    Today, I'd make the choice based on the subject.
    This is absolutely what it's about.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.