Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Indeed but the device you take the 10bit signal into might be able to record the sound. Atomos for example has mini XLR in - no need therefore to XLR into the camera ?

S

2. Collapse Details
    I'd suggest looking one of the Atomos Inferno models (either Shogun or Ninja). They have an XLR adapter and give you way more controls and options that most XLR boxes will.

Plus it let's you take advantage of the 10-bit 422 output for better quality, and a big, bright monitor too.
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
    Adobe CC 2018

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Indeed but the device you take the 10bit signal into might be able to record the sound. Atomos for example has mini XLR in - no need therefore to XLR into the camera ?

S
    I hear you. Yes, that is the way to go. The Atomos Shogun Inferno is rather big, but who cares. It will do the job with breakout cables. Thanks.
    Michael Erlewine
    Founder All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, All-Game Guide, ClassicPosters.com
    Heart Center Studios, MacroStop.com, SpiritGrooves.net, Matrix Software, etc.

4. Collapse Details
    What about the new 5in version - I dont know the audio capabilities?

Overall if you have FS5 why bother? Id keep the Nikon as a tiny package for picking up Broll.

S

5. Collapse Details
    I've been using a similar setup with a D850 for a recent project (D850 was specified due to client/sponsor agreements). I've got it all put together with smallrig parts and cages, and use it with a knock-off Easyrig most of the time. Rather unwieldy, but get's the job done much better than shooting with an XLR adapter and the cameras built-in LCD.
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
    Adobe CC 2018

6. Collapse Details
    What about the new 5in version - I dont know the audio capabilities?

Overall if you have FS5 why bother? Id keep the Nikon as a tiny package for picking up Broll.

S
    Sure, but by the time I pack the Sony, the Atomos, some lights, etc. and etc. I have filled the back of my car to overflowing, all kinds of road cases. I am hoping to have a very small case that would do a decent job with very little equipment. The new Nikon Z7 has some pretty solid video features and will port 10-bit 4:2:2 which is what I need. I could take the Z7 and the Atomos Inferno and make out OK with just that for a small kit.
    Michael Erlewine

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by deltoidjohn View Post
    I've been using a similar setup with a D850 for a recent project (D850 was specified due to client/sponsor agreements). I've got it all put together with smallrig parts and cages, and use it with a knock-off Easyrig most of the time. Rather unwieldy, but get's the job done much better than shooting with an XLR adapter and the cameras built-in LCD.
    I have the Nikon D850, but have never messed with the video. what exactly do you use with it for audio, if you don't mind specifying that.

The D850 is my main camera for stills. The new Nikon Z7 is more portable and has an AMAZING EVF. I never have used the the OVF on the D810 or D850. Never. But I find myself using the EVF on the Nikon Z7 all the time. It is that good.
    Michael Erlewine

8. Collapse Details
    Michael would you mind starting a thread on your experiences with the z7

9. Collapse Details
    Michael would you mind starting a thread on your experiences with the z7
    I just posted some comments, mostly oriented to still photography at this point.
    Michael Erlewine

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Erlewine View Post
    I am wondering what adapters/kits would you suggest I look into to add XLR connector(s) and Rode mics to the new Nikon Z7 mirrorless?
    Three core paths you have to choose from:

a) Max value for money: Zoom F4 (or F8/F8n)

b) Minimal size: MixPre3 (or the MixPre6 which is a little bigger)

c) Minimal cost: Tascam DR60Dmk2 (or the DR70D, although once you get up to a DR70D price I'd question why stop there when a 2ndhand Zoom F4 won't be that much more? But would give you back so much much much more)

I can't really tell you which one is "best", that depends on your own personal needs/wants/pocketbook. But these are the three core options I'd focus on, is highly unlikely anything else outside these would be a much better pick when it comes to an external recorder/mixer/pre-amp for the Z7.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast