Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Adding XLR Support to Nikon Z7
    I am wondering what adapters/kits would you suggest I look into to add XLR connector(s) and Rode mics to the new Nikon Z7 mirrorless?
    Michael Erlewine
    Founder All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, All-Game Guide, ClassicPosters.com
    Heart Center Studios, MacroStop.com, SpiritGrooves.net, Matrix Software, etc.

2. Collapse Details
    I doubt Nikon will make a hot-shoe XLR interface like Panasonic or Sony, but you never know. I think that leaves us with the standard DSLR options, like a Beachtek XLR adapter or Tascam audio recorder. I haven't used the recent XLR adapters/recorders so I don't know what the best bang for buck option is. Do you have a budget in mind? Something with decent preamps will run at least $300, unless there is an amazing cheap device that I've never heard of before.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post
    I doubt Nikon will make a hot-shoe XLR interface like Panasonic or Sony, but you never know. I think that leaves us with the standard DSLR options, like a Beachtek XLR adapter or Tascam audio recorder. I haven't used the recent XLR adapters/recorders so I don't know what the best bang for buck option is. Do you have a budget in mind? Something with decent preamps will run at least $300, unless there is an amazing cheap device that I've never heard of before.
    Yep. Thought so. I have those. Just wondering if there is anything new out there that popped up. Thanks.
    Michael Erlewine

4. Collapse Details

5. Collapse Details
    If the Nikon has no built in limiter (not AGC) in manual record level mode, worth popping for a higher level Beachtek type device that has that.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo66 View Post
    If the Nikon has no built in limiter (not AGC) in manual record level mode, worth popping for a higher level Beachtek type device that has that.
    Not understanding the above. How do I figure that out and what is a an example of what I need. Is the previous link that was suggested what I need?
    Michael Erlewine

7. Collapse Details
    Check your audio options in menu for "limiter". If there, likely selectable. A limiter attempts to put a lid on audio level to avoid distortion.
    Check Beachtek for models with limiters (will likely have meters too)...as well as tascam recorders that pass audio through to cam.
    Really serious? Contact Sound Devices.

8. Collapse Details
    It is worth considering that some recorders (Atomos, Sound Devices?) have Audio In, enabling you to record Nlog and Audio onto an external HD.

My intstant response is that a box like beachtek is so horrible to mount that you might as well go all the way into rig hell - or just keep the camera clean and record on a mic like rode video mic (non powered), or do seperate audio.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo66 View Post
    Check your audio options in menu for "limiter". If there, likely selectable. A limiter attempts to put a lid on audio level to avoid distortion.
    Check Beachtek for models with limiters (will likely have meters too)...as well as tascam recorders that pass audio through to cam.
    Really serious? Contact Sound Devices.
    Thanks for point this out. I looked for the word "limiter" but found no reference to it in the manual for my camera (Nikon Z7) or in the menus themselves. I looked on "Sound Devices" but there was too much to understand. Could you you name a Beachtek or similar box that has within it what you suggest, please.
    Michael Erlewine

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    It is worth considering that some recorders (Atomos, Sound Devices?) have Audio In, enabling you to record Nlog and Audio onto an external HD.

My intstant response is that a box like beachtek is so horrible to mount that you might as well go all the way into rig hell - or just keep the camera clean and record on a mic like rode video mic (non powered), or do seperate audio.
    I have a number of Rode shotgun mics and a Sony FS5, Atomos Shogun Inferno, etc. However, I am trying to see if I could get this new Nikon Z7 (which exports 10-bit 4:2;2 video by HDMI) to work for short interviews, etc. But it has a small audio jack rather than the XLR connections. And so looking for something like a Beachtek that was a "limiter" to make sure the audio on the this small mirrorless camera will be clearn.
    Michael Erlewine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast