1. Collapse Details
    24-105 For wedding photography?
    Thinking of starting to offer wedding photography as people often ask. I have a couple Sony mirrorless cameras. Wanting to avoid having to swap lenses a lot, so I was wondering if the versatile Sony 24-105 could serve as my main lens and I could keep my 2nd camera with a different lens and roll like that most of the time. Thoughts?

2. Collapse Details
    Yeah, that's a pretty typical wedding lens.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    it is a great range. F4 looks nice, as focus and bokeh are at pretty optimal levels. But may be a touch dark for some venues and situations. easy lens swap though.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys.
    I agree f/4 isn't super fast but on something like a7sii or a7riii I'm thinking would be able to compensate

5. Collapse Details
    Based on the few times that I've tried shooting weddings, wedding receptions are a nightmare. An f/4 would require a pretty have flash to even come close to stopping movement. For video, the Sigma f/1.8 zooms are a decent compromise if you have a crop body. Otherwise, I would want to rely on fast primes.

6. Collapse Details
    Do you have an a7 series or a6x00 series?

As if APS-C then check out the Sony 18-105!
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    Based on the few times that I've tried shooting weddings, wedding receptions are a nightmare. An f/4 would require a pretty have flash to even come close to stopping movement. For video, the Sigma f/1.8 zooms are a decent compromise if you have a crop body. Otherwise, I would want to rely on fast primes.
    Based on the many times I have shot weddings (not tried - never try - you cant 'try' on someones unique day) - Id say a 24-105 is an excellent lens - super narrow DOF is just too sketchy, as is being stuck on a prime.. and yes you need to be highly competent at using flash and have powerful ones if you need them.

My setup is an on camera flash, plus a couple of remotes (qflash) that can be rigged in a reception venue, maybe even studio lights if its a huge venue

2 FF bodies, one will have a 24-105, the other is cycled between a 70-200 and a prime of your choice, I like a 50 1.4 but many would go for a 85/1.4, additionally you need a 16-35 for groups in tight spaces or if nikon a 14-24.